• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these sleeves too short?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
As per a couple of my other threads, I am slowly getting the majority of my clothes tailored to SF standards, or at least considerably closer too. It's a slow and expensive process.

Here is a suit I am not sure about. Yes it's 4 buttons (I know, burn it, I never liked 4 buttons myself anyways) but it's 100% wool, three piece, a nice color, and was a gift. I am getting the vest and jacket taken in. It is a regular instead of a long, some posters here suggested I try that as some of my suits were too long.

My question is about the sleeves. I know you are supposed to show some shirt cuff. The shirt I am wearing is the size I have been correctly measured for by countless stores and tailors (17 34/35). In this case, the shirt sleeves keep riding up into the jacket sleeves, the result being I show more wrist than I am accustomed to and they look, to me, too short.

Here are two hastily taken photographs. In the first picture, I pulled the shirt sleeves out so you can see some cuff. In the second, the shirt cuffs have disappeared back into the jacket sleeves. This happened just from standing there and taking pictures.

sleeve1.jpg

sleeve2.jpg

AlmostSmart

Reaction score
The jacket sleeves length appear to be the correct length, in my opinion.

It may be that you need shirts with a slightly longer sleeve length?

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
As per a couple of my other threads, I am slowly getting the majority of my clothes tailored to SF standards, or at least considerably closer too. It's a slow and expensive process.

Here is a suit I am not sure about. Yes it's 4 buttons (I know, burn it, I never liked 4 buttons myself anyways) but it's 100% wool, three piece, a nice color, and was a gift. I am getting the vest and jacket taken in.

Then why waste the money on alterations, stop altering junk and save that money for something better

It is a regular instead of a long, some posters here suggested I try that as some of my suits were too long.
I suppose that's a silver lining

My question is about the sleeves. I know you are supposed to show some shirt cuff. The shirt I am wearing is the size I have been correctly measured for by countless stores and tailors (17 34/35). In this case, the shirt sleeves keep riding up into the jacket sleeves, the result being I show more wrist than I am accustomed to and they look, to me, too short.
You may be wrong about your sleeve length being correct (and you probably are) and the armholes on your shirts may be low and catch on the jacket (which they probably are)

Anyway why are you worried about what you're 'supposed to' do when you're not supposed to wear 4 button suits

Night Owl

Reaction score
Show us a shot of the shirt I bet it looks like a flying squirrel

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl

laugh.gif

Yes, the jacket sleeves look to be the right length, if cuff isn't showing then it's the shirt at fault. As mentioned it's probably big/low arm-holes making it ride up when the jacket is on.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket looks good. Shirt looks too short. 34/35 is too vague. Get a full 35 inch arm and see what you think.

nohomo

Reaction score
For christ's sake, just return that thing, or if you can't, re-gift it, preferably back to the person that gave it to you. Are you really going to go out and wear a 4 button suit?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per another's comments above: Not to sound snarky, but why are you worried about sleeve length and not worried about that coat? Frankly, by forum standards, the coat is a complete train wreck. Altering the sleeve length on that is akin to, as someone much wiser than I recently said, saying "My son's meth lab is more profitable than your daughter's lemonade stand." Its a moot point.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Per another's comments above: Not to sound snarky, but why are you worried about sleeve length and not worried about that coat? Frankly, by forum standards, the coat is a complete train wreck. Altering the sleeve length on that is akin to, as someone much wiser than I recently said, saying "My son's meth lab is more profitable than your daughter's lemonade stand." Its a moot point.

The man is making an effort. His revolution will take time.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostSmart
The jacket sleeves length appear to be the correct length, in my opinion.

It may be that you need shirts with a slightly longer sleeve length?

That was my initial thought, which is why I mentioned about how many times I've been measured many times and they have always come up with this size.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
You may be wrong about your sleeve length being correct (and you probably are) and the armholes on your shirts may be low and catch on the jacket (which they probably are)

Good point. Let me ask ask a question: Let's assume I am stuck with this shirt and it's armholes. Do let the jacket sleeves out then, or wear it as is?

I am working on one thing at a time, shirts are WAYYYYYY down the line, so . . .

Anyway why are you worried about what you're 'supposed to' do when you're not supposed to wear 4 button suits

I want the sleeves to look correct, at least within reason or possibility. The suit having 4 buttons doesnt affect the fit, it just affects the number of buttons. I thought about closing one buttonhole and making it a 3 button suit . . .

mt_spiffy

Reaction score

You mean too much fabric under the arms? Yeah most of my shirts are like that. Having a 17" neck and a slender body means that shirts that fit me in the neck are too big elsewhere. WAYYYYYY down my list is having my favorite/better quality/most worn shirts tapered, but that's a ways off. Seeing as I rarely take my jacket off and prefer 3 piece suits anyways, it doesnt bother me much at the moment. I do have some 16-16.5" shirts I wear without closing the top button, these fit better in the body.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Jacket looks good. Shirt looks too short. 34/35 is too vague. Get a full 35 inch arm and see what you think.

I will keep an eye out for a full 35" shirt within my budget. Most of those I see are 34/35.

If I'm going to wear it with this shirt for the moment, do I leave the jacket sleeves alone? Or have them taken out ~1/2" to compensate for not showing shirt cuff? I normally prefer not to show shirt cuff . . .

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
For christ's sake, just return that thing, or if you can't, re-gift it, preferably back to the person that gave it to you. Are you really going to go out and wear a 4 button suit?

Not returnable, and I'm going to wear it. For some reason a lot of 3 piece suits come as 4 button. While I dont care for it (even when I wore suits with 5+ buttons I still never liked 4), having one extra button isnt a big enough deal to bother me. It's not the only 4 button suit I own. I'd say 50% of my suits are 2 button, 30% are 3 button, 20% are 4.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads