• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these sleeves too short?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
He wears those suits to church. Four and five button suits are very common in most Afro-American inter-city churches.

Well, anything more than 4 buttons is no longer in style, and 2 and 3 button suits are becoming more popular. Now we like hugely wide lapels, extra buttons in random places, vests of a different color (often a flashy metalic material). Also contrast stitching, ticket pockets, and back pleats, all of which I like. Well I like ONE of each. It's not uncommon to see 2 or more ticket pockets, and 3 or more back pleats.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
The left sleeve looks fine but I can't tell on the right sleeve since you have your hand up.

The one you can see is the worse of the two. I think that arm is longer.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Spiff, those last pics you posted don't look half bad.

They will all be better with tailoring.

You can search, "how to measure for a suit", go somewhere and get measured or, get a tape measure and measure the best fitting suit you own.

I know how to measure a suit, I was curious how to measure ME.

I'm a cheap bastard and have never spent more than $180 for a suit, many of these were closer to $100 and all of them except 2 were brand new with the other two being like new. It's totally possible to find higher quality wears with a little searching and patience. As long as you know your measurements.

That's a reasonable price range for something I like of decent or better quality.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
spiffy, how about getting the tailor to take those measurements for you next time you visit? It would be a great way to have it done properly and build a relationship with your tailor.

I asked the only English-speaking tailor I go to to measure me once. He took one look at me and said, 43L.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Hell, post your measurements and I'll do it for you:

As measured ON MY BODY (not by measuring a garment):

Chest: 42"
Shoulder: 48"
Waist (at stomach): 40"
Sleeve length: NO CLUE how to measure this, my shirts are 34/35 and it seems closer to the 35
Height: 6'2"
Waist (trouser): 37" (parts that are a 36 waist fit fine)
Inseam (actual): 32"
Normal size suit worn[/quote] 42L, I have some 44L but I am getting them tapered.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
42L, I have some 44L but I am getting them tapered.
Did you take these measurements while wearing a suit? Usually your suit size is at least 2" bigger than your chest measurement. So 42 chest = 44 or 46 suit (in most cases).[/quote] Anyway, check out this suit and it's measurements and see if you think this will work for you.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren Pinstripe

LOVE this one, if I can get it for the opening bid I'll buy it.

I forgot to mention, right now I am looking only for suits with a ticket pocket. Added bonus if they have a higher button stance and/or a vest.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Did you take these measurements while wearing a suit? Usually your suit size is at least 2" bigger than your chest measurement. So 42 chest = 44 or 46 suit (in most cases).

No, while wearing a t-shirt.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all sincerity, spending money to alter that suit is wasteful. Save your money ... and when you have enough ... buy a decent one, two, or three button suit.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
LOVE this one, if I can get it for the opening bid I'll buy it. I forgot to mention, right now I am looking only for suits with a ticket pocket. Added bonus if they have a higher button stance and/or a vest.
Cool, wait until the last minute and bid.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
As measured ON MY BODY (not by measuring a garment):

Chest: 42"
Shoulder: 48"
Waist (at stomach): 40"
Sleeve length: NO CLUE how to measure this, my shirts are 34/35 and it seems closer to the 35
Height: 6'2"
Waist (trouser): 37" (parts that are a 36 waist fit fine)
Inseam (actual): 32"
Normal size suit worn

42L, I have some 44L but I am getting them tapered.[/quote]

tapering a 44 L won't do much, the shoulders will be too big, and too much room in the chest, there also might be too much fabric in the sides to take in, depending on the drop.

sleeve length on shirt half the collar then across to shoulder then straight down to where roughly half that fat base part of your thumb/palm. tbh I like my sleeves 1" short so I wear my shirt sleeve to the base of my wrist/hand and suit about 1/2" shorter.

Chest on a suit is roughly + 3.5". If you have a 42 chest, ideally you would wear a 42
your shoulder measurement is whack.
sleeves on a suit measure straight from the shoulder seam and straight down.

as others have pointed out, the money spent altering an illfitting garment could be used to buy a new suit, or if you really can't afford it, go thrifting or ebaying something in your size. Taking in a suit costs minimal from like drycleaner or something, 10-20$ x your 10 suits, $100-200, + tip + anything else that might need adjusted. you could probably get a couple decent suits.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Cool, wait until the last minute and bid.

I won it for $115 shipped. It wasnt in my budget, but I thought I'd give it a shot, especially with all the lauding of Ralph Lauren here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads