• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoes too much?

Ohmth

Reaction score

I hate how these shoes look. Very comfortable, but not down to earth at all. I am not a millionaire ceo with a nice Armani suit and a rolex. I work at best buy. These are amazingly comfortable. I need a similar shoe with an arch support that is available in 11.5 W. I am not very shoe savvy so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend a shoe that isn't pointy or shinny, but one that has the arch support and cushioning. I like the fabric on the one below. Any suggestions?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just no, I am sorry, better to buy loake or meerin

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Just no, I am sorry, better to buy loake or meerin

To confirm add911_11's point, horrendous fabric, horrible square toes and what on earth is going on with the sole (probably non-slip)?

Read this thread for the basics of different shoe levels i.e. low-entry, mid-range and high-end. Read this thread for a further detailed discussion, although the thread discusses the hierarchy of English shoes.

What colour suit or suits do you intend to wear with your shoes? How long will you be standing in your shoes? How far will you be walking in your shoes?

You'll need a minimum of 2 pairs of shoes for rotation i.e. to give each pair a rest, and not to wear the same pair on consecutive days. You also need to buy shoe trees to maintain your shoes.

I was in your position (although I don't work in Best Buy) in terms of having zero knowledge about shoes. I initially bought a pair of Loake 1880s in the Aldwych last, and shortly after, bought 2 pairs of Meermins (single monks and wholecuts).

Others can assist with arch support and cushioning. The basic point is that you should be able to find a couple of decent low-entry shoes, that will enhance your professional image (subject to suitable suit fit and colour co-ordination) that will not cost a fortune, and will be 100 times better (and last longer) than those brown monstrosities that you posted.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a lost cause.

The dude thinks a rockport or ecco black loafer is "millionaire CEO" like and you guys are recommending loake or meermins.

Get real.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they are magnanni's. Umad?

no, I'm not mad.

Let me rephrase, if you think Magnannis are "too much", you are probably in the wrong place.

What do your best buy coworkers wear?

Ohmth

Reaction score
no, I'm not mad.
Let me rephrase, if you think Magnannis are "too much", you are probably in the wrong place.
What do your best buy coworkers wear?
Let me rephrase. Magnannis are too much for a part time minimum wage sales associate job at a big box store. I guess I am in the wrong place. I am not a shallow materialistic ***** that hides behind his keyboard and purchases overly expensive clothing because I am insecure with myself. My coworkers wear tennis shoes. And since you are so intelligent. You would already know that different people have different feet.

lychyrychy

Reaction score
Haha new members...:)

on a serious note, I think SF members can make better recommendations if you can provide your budget.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Allen Edmonds, then call the Allen Edmonds Shoebank. They have a 2 for $300 sale going on until Sunday.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Let me rephrase. Magnannis are too much for a part time minimum wage sales associate job at a big box store. I guess I am in the wrong place. I am not a shallow materialistic ***** that hides behind his keyboard and purchases overly expensive clothing because I am insecure with myself. My coworkers wear tennis shoes. And since you are so intelligent. You would already know that different people have different feet.

not even gonna bother.

Last edited:

Ohmth

Reaction score
No more than 300 because most shoes can be bought somewhere online for half the price if you know your size.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="Ohmth" url="/t/309844/are-these-shoes-too-much#post
I am not a millionaire ceo with a nice Armani suit and a rolex. I work at best buy.

[/quote]

You don't need to be a CEO to appreciate a good pair of shoes, I can understand with a starter a pair cost more than £100 is going to be over the edge, however a good pair of shoes looks nicer and last longer had the proper treatment been made

Your analogy is bad, Armani suits these days are ****. In my country a Rolex is definitely not a luxuary, rather it is recognized as simply a nice watch and has good reselling value.

You probably just very young, don't worry and enjoy your life

TravelFun

Reaction score
Not necessarily a lost cause. Perhaps in the future under different work circumstances and financial situation...

this is a lost cause.
The dude thinks a rockport or ecco black loafer is "millionaire CEO" like and you guys are recommending loake or meermins.
Get real.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF posters are truly insane,
If you work at BestBuy for $9/hr, just wear Merrel, Ecco, Rockports, Clarks, etc.
These are the most comfortable shoes you can buy that are not sneakers.

If you want to step it up, and buy a pair you can also wear casually, take a look here ($60 to $150)
http://www.target.com/p/men-s-daxx-suede-oxfords-brown/-/A-14103135
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~37838/37838.jsp
http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-suede-buck-shoes~243368_-1.html
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/Macalisterboots.jsp?navLoc=left_nav
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes.jsp?navLoc=left_nav

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads