• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoes awful?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am tempted to purchase these rather funky shoes for use as travel and walking shoes. I need something comfortable and padded enough for lots of walking, and that perhaps could pass for business very casual in the heavy manufacturing environment - e.g. for doing things like walking around dusty foundries in slacks and a button-up shirt with rolled-up sleeves.

In a perfect world, I'd own some Rider Chukkas in shell cordovan, and I might still after I pimp my gf out for a few nights, but to cover the flying and heavy walking, I'm thinking these might fit the bill. Your advice? Alternative recommendations?

bbsuedesneakerset9.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand the tendency to look for special shoes for walking. Maybe I have messed up feet, but I find my regular, Goodyear-welted, leather-soled 'dress' shoes perfectly comfortable for walking all day long. I wear sneakers to jog, but they feel awful when doing anything unathletic.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think they look bad at all; I think they'll look good with jeans and such and the toe shape isn't large/bulbous or dorky like a lot of sneakers. I have no idea how much they cost, of course, but just basing off of the pic, I think you could certainly do worse...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't understand the tendency to look for special shoes for walking. Maybe I have messed up feet, but I find my regular, Goodyear-welted, leather-soled 'dress' shoes perfectly comfortable for walking all day long. I wear sneakers to jog, but they feel awful when doing anything unathletic.

Ditto. I don't get it. Do you guys never walk? I wear my regular, goodyear-welted shoes and walk all over NYC, up and down stairs, and I'm fine.

I think those sport/dress shoes are generally very ugly. Just get a casual blucher or something.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say they wear their dress shoes for walking and love them. I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm too big a guy. Maybe my dress shoes aren't so perfectly lasted or fitted for me. Maybe I'm trying to get away with too much of a dress shoe. But I don't understand how a dress shoe, with nothing but a thin, largely non-compressible leather sole between your foot and the pavement, could possibly compare to a thicker rubber sole, occasional gel or air layers, and the typically plush insoles you find in sneakers. On my last trip to Hong Kong, I took 2 pairs of dress shoes (granted both had very thin single leather soles) and a pair of Nike trainers for working out, and after 2-3 days, the balls of my feet were in so much pain I resorted to the unthinkable - I wore my trainers out for a day of touring. I looked like hell, but it felt like heaven.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I think the problem is partially that many people misconstrue softness and plushness for comfort. Bouncy, gel-filled rubber soles are the equivalent of over-stuffed 'leather' sofas to me. In my experience, a Goodyear-welted leather sole offers a lot more support than your standard Nike space shoe while still providing sufficient flexibility.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think a lot people just don`t wear dress shoes that fit well. When they wear sneakers they feel a little more comfortable because the uppers stretch more to accommodate their foot.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, for me it depends on the dress shoe. Some are a bit painful after about an hour of walking, others are fine for about 5 hours of walking. I am guessing it depends on the fit, a perfect fit will be very supportive.

I wish I could say "I have worn bespoke and I can tell you that if it fits properly, it will be more comfortable than any trainer". But I have not worn bespoke so I don't know. My best fitting dress shoe is good for about 5 hours of walking, whereas my athletic shoes can go maybe 8 hours.

Regardless, there is no guarantee those shoes above are comfortable, even though they are ugly. I prefer to wear true sneakers when I am going all-out casual. I wear retros like New Balance 577 or Air Max 90.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ I think the problem is partially that many people misconstrue softness and plushness for comfort. Bouncy, gel-filled rubber soles are the equivalent of over-stuffed 'leather' sofas to me. In my experience, a Goodyear-welted leather sole offers a lot more support than your standard Nike space shoe while still providing sufficient flexibility.

+1

Actually if one has a "sloppy" gait flexible shoes will cause more pain and discomfort. I have a heavily pronated gait and flat feet. I couldn't walk more than a block or two in an unstructured shoe.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I don't think they look bad at all; I think they'll look good with jeans and such and the toe shape isn't large/bulbous or dorky like a lot of sneakers. I have no idea how much they cost, of course, but just basing off of the pic, I think you could certainly do worse...

+1

I agree. I quite like them.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never liked hybrid shoes. With the outfit and for the situation described by the OP, I'd wear a pair of leather boat shoes (not with a white sole though) or camp mocs (Sperry makes both), hell I'd even consider one of those Timberland oxfords with the lug soles.

Or, how about this?

`Rugged yet sophisticated, the Malone is a great casual shoe for your weekend excursions. Distressed leather and a shock-absorbing rubber sole add style and comfort for a perfect fit`

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval=

For the record, the shoes shown for our consideration are fugly.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Ditto. I don't get it. Do you guys never walk? I wear my regular, goodyear-welted shoes and walk all over NYC, up and down stairs, and I'm fine. I think those sport/dress shoes are generally very ugly. Just get a casual blucher or something.
I think those shoes look just fine, for wearing as he described or with jeans on the weekend. After all, it's for wearing walking around FOUNDRIES which really isn't somewhere you want to wear your best clothes. I have goodyear welted shoes, and they're comfortable enough for your average day at work which involves some walking. But if I have to spend a long day walking (like 10 hours+ when I'm playing tourist somewhere) I much prefer a pair of runners which leave your feet feeling considerably better at the end of the day when you make it back to your hotel.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had alot of people tell me i'm crazy for going to NYC in "dress shoes" but honestly my feet have always felt better after a day in AE's or Ferrgamos then they have ever felt after a day in sneakers.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely look like a tourist (t-shirt, shorts, sneakers) when I spend an entire day walking/shopping with my girlfriend in NYC in the summer. Then again, I am a tourist in NYC!

I'll change into something more appropriate to go out to dinner though. As for the comfort thing, my goodyear welted shoes are plenty comfortable, very supportive, but not cushioned enough to really WALK in a whole day.

I've tried more than once and the best way to describe it is that my feet don't hurt at the end of the day, it's that my legs feel tired...So casual strolling, yes. Power shopping with my girlfriend, no.

Just a thought, but since the OP has to walk around dusty foundries or other heavy manufacturing environments, wouldn't it be required to have some sort of steel toe work shoe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads