• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are These Shoes a Mistake?

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...Natural-cognac
211H_Natural-cognac_enlarged.jpg
Well, I could qualify that question with all manner of description of my current stock of shoes, the status of my wardrobe, etc., but what I really want to know is what you lot think of these shoes all on their own. Good to have, or good for a laugh? I'm not confident enough in my taste to know. I'm new to the game, after all. But I did buy them, so it would be very helpful to know for certain relatively soon. EDIT: I apologize for the large size of the picture, but I wanted to make certain it was clear to readers that they are not all-leather, and that they are in fact partially canvas.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
I think they're handsome, but I have no idea what I would wear them with, personally.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for a laugh, only, in my opinion. If you don't have ALL the basics already, then I'd try to shop for those first.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the prompt replies, everyone. Oh, I'm not remotely nervous. Just aware of being clueless. It's not that they're spectators that gives me pause, it's that they're not all leather; the cream-colored portion is canvas. I wasn't aware if that would cause so many complications and restrictions with what fabrics I could wear them with that they would be considered a dumb purchase. Since getting a few bad responses to some posts I've made about intended purchases, I've been a bit more self-conscious about that kind of thing. But not nervous at all. I'm thinking I'd wear them with ivory/cream colored trousers, as well as poplin trousers in "go to hell" colors like seafoam green, lemon yellow, candied apple red, etc. Sound workable?

Hans

Reaction score
I have a similar pair that I wear with summer suits. They are great! Buy them! Otherwise you'll get saver's remorse once the spring rolls around and you have nothing to wear.

pflance

Reaction score
I think they are good to have. But I guess that too expensive for me to buy.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks once again for all the great replies. It sounds like I shouldn't regret these too much.
smile.gif
Very relieved.

To those of you who've owned this pair, or others like it, I wonder what a smart technique might be to keep the canvas clean of shoe cream while cleaning and conditioning the leather parts, and, moreover, how best to clean the canvas itself should something get into it?

Thanks very much, take care. Happy Holidays.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Thanks once again for all the great replies. It sounds like I shouldn't regret these too much.
smile.gif
Very relieved.

To those of you who've owned this pair, or others like it, I wonder what a smart technique might be to keep the canvas clean of shoe cream while cleaning and conditioning the leather parts, and, moreover, how best to clean the canvas itself should something get into it?

Thanks very much, take care. Happy Holidays.

So did you buy them? I think they will be good with a tan or light linen suit in the summer. Who made them for BB?

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Yes, I bought them earlier today. To be perfectly honest, I'd never bought such an expensive pair of shoes before - but with them being already marked-down, plus the 25% off, I had to go for it.
smile.gif
Almost got the chukkas instead, but I've already ankle boots. I haven't own spectators since highschool, though, and those were rubbish, so I thought I'd take them up again on a high note. Thanks for the tips as to what to wear them with. I've been buying sport coats and odd trousers for the sake of economy, but I should have some lighter suits by next summer. I don't know who made them for BB, sorry. They are listed under Peal & Co., though I'm sure you knew that already. What is meant by saying that they're a "twice a year" shoe? I'm not disagreeing with you - I just don't get what you're saying. Please elaborate? Thanks again.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair, and I love them. I wear them with my sear-sucker and with tan cotton trousers in the summer. They get worn far less frequently than most of my other shoes, but they ALWAYS get compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads