• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shirts too formal for casual wear

Alfred001

Reaction score
Do you think these kind of shirts are too formal to be worn casually with a pair of chinos and a sports jacket, or without a jacket:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Any shirt with a logo is really not formal. Even without the logo, all those could easily be casual wear. Roll up the sleeves, untuck, and you're good to go.

Last edited:

hyt123

Reaction score
FL's right about the logos; also the colored stripe patterns are less formal, as are the barrel cuffs. The last shirt would be the least formal of the three, having a button-down collar. Any of these would work fine (tucked) with a sport jacket but without knowing how long they are I'd be hesitant to automatically say untuck them.

Last edited:

Alfred001

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Sometimes it's so hard to judge these things without seeing them on the street on someone else.

While the above may have logos and button downs I would be wearing the equivalents without logos and button downs and would be wearing them tucked, I was curious about the patterns.

Just to be sure, does it change anything that these are for college, not for the office?

erpet

Reaction score
A common preference that works for me:

long sleeves = shirt tucked
short sleeves = shirt untucked

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd wear that casually, I own a few of those types shirts too.

albeindc

Reaction score
I wear Polo (and non-Polo) shirts like that all the time for casual wear, especially the oxford sport shirts

Stylishmartita

Reaction score
I don't think it matters if they're for college and not for the office. It also depends on your style! But I'd wear them casually, without jacket. I like the match "shirt-chinos" but I'd go with the third one: the other two have a collar which is a bit more elegant than the first one...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shirts with the logos are definitely casual, IMO, I wouldn't ever consider wearing them with a suit.

duggyald

Reaction score
It's fine to wear them casually - chinos or slacks, I would.

doogoshly

Reaction score
it's better for casual than the office although i can see it in an laid-back more casual office setting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads