• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shirt sleeves too short?

Viserys

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently had this shirt inexpensively and I like the fabric and the finishing. However, I'm concerned that the sleeve might be a tad short, especially when the arm is reaching out. I think that it is an issue due to a low-ish armhole as they reach the palm when standing.

I would kindly like your advice: is the amount of riding acceptable or should I look somewhere else?

Thanks!

2wcffah.jpg

rtj6ts.jpg

20a8n48.jpg

The Millennial Gentleman

Reaction score
Those look to be a touch too short. The real question is, are you wearing a jacket with that shirt. If not, you can get away with it.

If you are wearing a jacket with that shirt, you will need to see if the shirt peeks out from the sleeve. I don't think it will at that length.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, check to make sure you can see half an inch or so of "linen" with a jacket on. But to me another issue is the cuffs appear way too wide. You should not be able to get your hand through the cuff when the link is fastened. Those look a bit like wizard sleeves.

Viserys

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I suffer from the plague of having small wrists (6'' skin tight) and long arms so I have the problem that most shirts don't really fit in sleeve length even if the cuff touches the palm slightly because it slides over my hand.

Since I almost only wear double cuffs, this issue is even worse.

Luckily enough, all my shirts are deteriorating from natural wear so I will replace them but before doing that I want to be sure I addess the right sleeve length-cuff width. I hope someone will be patient enough to help me clarifying some things

This is a mediocre quality shirt I used many years ago. It has unfused double cuffs that look terrible but they are, surprisingly, only 9 inches wide (from edge to edge, 7.5 inches mid-hole to mid-hole).
2vb61ys.jpg

The previous cuffs measure 9.5 inches from edge to edge (8 between holes). I think the latter look much better, size-wise, what do you think? Should I go even smaller? This is a shot from the front:
5obgw0.jpg

I would be completely happy to replace all my shirts with better fitting ones if this didn't spoil all my jacket's sleeves, which were tailored to accommodate a 9.5 or so double cuff. This is how the previous shirt and this one hang on the sports coat with narrowest sleeve openings I own:
2j3gmk4.jpg

2ihnkie.jpg

The bigger cuff fills in the sleeve better and in my opinion looks better. Do you think the second combination looks off, so in that case I should tailor my sleeve narrower?

Thanks everyone for the patience.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your jacket cuff width is independent of your shirt cuff width. The jacket looks fine and would look fine with narrower shirt cuffs as well.

Viserys

Reaction score
Your jacket cuff width is independent of your shirt cuff width. The jacket looks fine and would look fine with narrower shirt cuffs as well.
Agreed, this will spare me a lot in alterations. Do you think the smaller cuff shirt is fine for my wrists?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should not be able to get your hand easily through them when cuffed. Proper Cloth will take your measurements online and make the right cuffs. They can even add a watch allowance for the appropriate cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads