• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shirt fabrics SF approved?

antikantian

Reaction score
I'm having some shirts done up at T&A, and just wanted to get some opinions on these five fabric swatches. I'm particularly on the fence about the two on the right end. Thoughts?

Kitontini

Reaction score
Not a fan of the fourth one, but I really like the very last one (the one on the furthest right). I like the first two as well though. First one reminds me of a Borrelli tie I once had and the second reminds me of a Domenico Vacca tie I once had. I still say go with the last one. :happy:

sellahi22

Reaction score
I like the one on the far right more than the others - it's the type of cartoony bold multi-stripe that T&A is famous for and which none of the big fabric mills are able to emulate. I'd scrap the other 4 and look for additional designs along the lines of the last one.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of them look good, except I'm not a huge fan of the second to last on the right (large/bold blue stripes)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not personally too keen on multicoloured stripes like the far right, but they're all fine really.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far right could look very silly on a shirt, or quite decent -- I hope you have the pattern on something larger than that swatch (or have very good powers of visualization)

Last edited:

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Far right could look very silly on a shirt, or quite decent -- I hope you have the pattern on something larger than that swatch (or have very good powers of visualization)

This. My visualization powers do not bode well for a shirt of that pattern.

The big blue stripes are godawful.

antikantian

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, I was really hesitant about that bold blue stripe fabric - it just reminded me of Gordo Gekko's shirt in the most recent movie (the scene where he is in London at the barber). I almost picked the same pattern in red strips, but then I thought I'd either look like a candy striper or a picnic table cloth. I agree that the benefits of T&A lie in the bold patterns, but I sort of need the first three (I am having the first shirt for the sample done up in a white poplin).

My powers of visualization are lacking as well. A few months ago I saw a very small swatch at my regular shirtmaker called 'candy gingham.' I thought it looked decent in 3x3" or however big, but, yes, it's as horrible as the name implies in large format :p

At any rate, I guess I'll scrap that penultimate fabric and continue browsing the small fabric sample books that I took home. The fabric swatches in the store are quite large, so hopefully I can get a better idea of what the bolder patterns will look like when I go back for the sample fitting. I feel like I'm suffering from choice paralysis at the moment.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF neither has rules nor approves anything. Get what you prefer.

antikantian

Reaction score

SF neither has rules nor approves anything. Get what you prefer.

In principle I agree with getting what you prefer, but it's always nice to solicit opinions. I'd ask the significant other, but if I go to her with another, "what do you think of this swatch," all I get are eye rolls.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swatches are fine, But if possible, try to see shirt already done - even a photo in the bolder patterns. I realize this isn't always possible, but it will likely reduce your chances of buying a goodwill shirt. After a while you will gain experience and probably be able to go off the swatches. What did the SAs at the store think? If you can find a good one (honest, similar taste) you will be way ahead.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I think all but the far right are lovely fabrics—does sf really matter that much?

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classics, not a big fan of the 4th and 5th though. I would go with thinner bengal stripes on the 4th!

tone76

Reaction score
The 4th swatch is a little too Bananas In Pajamas for my liking. The 5th one is also a little busy, although it might actually come up well on an actual shirt. The first 3 are fine, in fact the 2nd swatch looks a lot like a shirt I already own, only the gingham pattern is smaller.

As for whether they are SF Approved ... surely the fact that the shirts are T&A would automatically grant them SF Approved status. Yes, even the pattern that's crying out for either B1 or B2 as a monogram.

Last edited:

antikantian

Reaction score
Just FYI, I was joking about the whole 'SF approved' thing. I just wanted some opinions on the fabrics that I was on the fence about, and none of my friends really care about clothes, so I come here. I'm 27, so a lot of my friends believe that khaki's and OCBD's qualify as formal wear, and flip flops are acceptable in any setting.

I was remembering these three pictures when thinking about the gingham and stripe patterns, although in retrospect I'm not liking the Gordon Gekko one.

I honestly haven't solicited the advice of the bespoke manager at T&A yet (Robert Gillotte, who was awesome and very personable when I was in the store the other week, two thumbs up - go to him for T&A bespoke in New York!). I live in North Carolina, so he said that I should just pick out the sample shirt fabric (I chose a white poplin), and then take the small sample books home to decide. Depending on how the sample fits, I'll either just send him pictures via e-mail, or fly back to NYC for deeper insight on fit from him, and then I'll check out some of the larger format samples. Robert appeared to have impeccable taste, along with infinite knowledge on watches (our shared interest), and James Bond, so I'm sure he won't steer me wrong. I have a lot of OTR T&A shirts, but I always buy more conservative fabrics, so I'm looking forward to getting into some more of their bolder patterns. The only slightly bold T&A I currently have is a grey with pale pink stripe plaid, but that's more of a casual shirt.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads