• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shell cordovan?

judgeschreber

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been following the forums for some time, trying to put together a decent wardrobe despite not having a lot of disposable income--styleforum's been a fantastic resource.

I recently bought a pair of vintage Hanover shell longwings for a great price, and I'm now determined to expand my shell collection :nodding:

I'm on the fence about these ones. They are Johnston and Murphy, but they're older, made in USA. The creases are a lighter color and the folds say shell to me, but the photos are a bit blurry and the last photo might show micro-creasing, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Anyone care to weigh in? Thanks!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shell.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Reaction score
Different view here; I say they are shell.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say based on the pics b/c they aren't the best, but don't look like shell to me b/c of creasing on last picture and the way shoe polish is sitting on the shoe.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hard to say based on the pics b/c they aren't the best, but don't look like shell to me b/c of creasing on last picture and the way shoe polish is sitting on the shoe.

Agreed.
judgeschreber you want to look for micro-creasing. If it exists, it is not shell. Your photos are not clear enough so check.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shell - creasing is too fine.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First photo doesn't look like shell, rest kinda do. If it's over eBay and advertised as shell you have some protection if they are not

judgeschreber

Reaction score
Thanks for saving me from a bad purchase!

They were on ebay, and the original photos were even blurrier, so I asked the seller to email close-ups of the creases. None of them showed micro-creasing except maybe that last one I posted, so thanks for confirming it.

They weren't marked as shell. Given my limited budget, I'm trying to find shell shoes on ebay that aren't marked. The hanover longwings I bought were easy to identify, but these seemed borderline to me.

sportin_life: what do you mean by "the way shoe polish is sitting on the shoe"?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads