• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shell cordovan? (Polo RL, pics)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this pair of Polo shoes, Benchmade in England. I assume they are C&J. I am also wondering if they are black shell cordovan. The uppers have what looks like wrinkling rather than creasing. They had a slight matte look to them and I was able to buff them with a cloth w/o any polish.

They look like these, w/ the double sole and storm welt:

http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

shoe1.jpg

shoe2.jpg

shoe3.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you bend them at the hinge, what happens?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they smell different than regular calf? (serious)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe, but it's very hard to tell. I find it odd that they wouldn't be stamped "shell cordovan," though I'm not very familiar with RL.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I've been negative regarding shell/not shell opinions the last day or two, but I'm voting 'not shell' again. Look at the area under the stitching that is under the eyelets. This appears to be somehow stamped, or glued and pressed, which I've seen on CG shoes but I would not expect with shell. It is visible in other areas as well. I could be wrong, however.
blush.gif

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This area is due to the thickness of shell. It is hard to grip a needle into the material without pressing down tightly with the machine. These would appear to be shell, however to my knowledge RL only uses brown shell cordovan (now).

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell no doubt in my mind.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Even the skeptic thinks that those are shell.

Ah, Henry Boogers, you have now come over to the Dark Side.......mwahahahahahahahahaha!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads