• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are these RL boots good for the price?

samssf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I'm looking for my first pair of chelsea boots (first pair of boots period) to wear with nice jeans on weekends, etc.

I'm not comfortable with buying C&J shoes online since the various US - UK sizing charts are so vastly different and since I usually have to try on several pairs in a story to find the one that fits well.

I live in SF and there is a local Ralph Lauren store so I'm hoping they have these:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

At $750 they're expensive, but there's nothing else in this city. There's Alden and AE but they don't have chelseas that I know of. I'd buy some RMW but again I doubt they'd fit on the first pair. I'd have to get three and return or sell the ones that don't fit. My foot length is 11.5" (US size 12 depending on the last... charts online say 10.5 which is BS). My width is 4.37 which puts me close to an E size, again, depending on the shoe.

Any advice for people who know a lot about high-end shoes / boots?
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
291
I don't like those and $750 is way too much for them. If you must have them, wait for the next private sale to be announced on the forum and pick them up for 40% off. Seriously.

Also, if you having trouble locating a pair of high-end boots/shoes, take a trip to Wilkes Bashford on Sutter St in SF, and pick up a pair of Gravati or Barrett boots for equal or less money. Last time I was in WB, they had a beautiful pair of Barrett boots that I nearly kopped for ~$500. If that fails, there's also mail order options (e.g., G&G, though Wilkes Bashford also carries G&G now)...
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
291
I don't like them, but that is just personal taste -- I don't like the Chelsea styling. I personally prefer Chukkas for a more casual boot with jeans or pants on weekends etc.

Do you like them?
 

samssf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
I do like them, from the photos. My main requirement is a boot that is versatile but also sleek an elegant. Everyone recommends Alden shoes, so I looked at their selection, but they their chukkas seemed too clunky and I didn't like the stitching. I do, however, love these chukkas: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black Any other suggestions for nice, versatile boots?
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,512
Reaction score
12,028

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
55
Why chukkas > chelseas?

Just curious

Cheers
 

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2010
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
87
I like the style a lot, but from my understanding the non-RLPL Italian shoes aren't particularly great in terms of quality. I have a pair from one such Italian line (nail pattern on the sole actually similar to the ones you posted), which I got on discount, that are alright but nothing to write home about.

You can find significantly better for that price.
 

Tomboys

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
154
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by samssf
Hi all,

I'm looking for my first pair of chelsea boots (first pair of boots period) to wear with nice jeans on weekends, etc.

I'm not comfortable with buying C&J shoes online since the various US - UK sizing charts are so vastly different and since I usually have to try on several pairs in a story to find the one that fits well.

I live in SF and there is a local Ralph Lauren store so I'm hoping they have these:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

At $750 they're expensive, but there's nothing else in this city. There's Alden and AE but they don't have chelseas that I know of. I'd buy some RMW but again I doubt they'd fit on the first pair. I'd have to get three and return or sell the ones that don't fit. My foot length is 11.5" (US size 12 depending on the last... charts online say 10.5 which is BS). My width is 4.37 which puts me close to an E size, again, depending on the shoe.

Any advice for people who know a lot about high-end shoes / boots?


Call the SF and Palo Alto store to see if they have them. I was in the SF store a few weeks ago and I think I saw them, but I can't remember for sure--I was too busy trying to nail down my size on the Darltons wingtips because I, like you, have "weird" feet. I'm between a D and E (US sizing), but I have a fairly high instep, so most of the time that pushes me into an E width. However, depending on last, I may need a D width. When I purchased my C&Js from overseas, I had to do exactly as you mentioned, buy 3 pairs and decide which one was best. Still, even though I only saved $150.00 instead of $200.00, hey, $150.00 is still pretty substaintial in my book.

I agree with the others that said don't pay full retail for them. A couple of years ago, I called the SF store to see if they had that boot and the SA told me that he had one pair left at the time (size 10.5--I need a 9.5, maybe 10) for $150.00. No, that price is not a typo. So, while I doubt that you'll see that price again, I think if it gets down to @ $400.00 or so, it's worth getting.



Originally Posted by samssf
Do you guys like these from Barney's, assuming they have them at the SF store?

http://www.barneys.com/Chelsea-5-Che...efault,pd.html


Yup, they have this boot in the SF store because I tried it on. For me, this is the best fitting Chelsea given my funky sized feet. How good was it? Suffice to say, I was so impressed with the fit and comfort that I almost paid Barney's full asking price for them. Luckily, my SF-bargain-indicator light went off and stopped me. This is a stock boot from C&J, so size-wise, just order one size down from the size you fit at Barneys when you order from overseas.

Originally Posted by samssf
I do like them, from the photos. My main requirement is a boot that is versatile but also sleek an elegant. Everyone recommends Alden shoes, so I looked at their selection, but they their chukkas seemed too clunky and I didn't like the stitching.

I do, however, love these chukkas:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

Any other suggestions for nice, versatile boots?


I tried on the BB Peal Chelseas (not the chukka) and quite honestly, while they fit well, they felt "thin". Meaning that the boot didn't feel robust like the C&J. Don't get me wrong, they aren't cheaply made or anything like that, but I prefer a shoe / boot that has a little bit more "heft". And, being the bargain shopper that I am, they were 50% off and yet I still didn't get them. Quite honestly, even if they were under $200.00, I still wouldn't have purchased them. But, that's just me. I'm sure there's plenty of people who have it and love it regardless of what price they paid for it.
 

samssf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Tomboys
Call the SF and Palo Alto store to see if they have them. I was in the SF store a few weeks ago and I think I saw them, but I can't remember for sure--I was too busy trying to nail down my size on the Darltons wingtips because I, like you, have "weird" feet. I'm between a D and E (US sizing), but I have a fairly high instep, so most of the time that pushes me into an E width. However, depending on last, I may need a D width. When I purchased my C&Js from overseas, I had to do exactly as you mentioned, buy 3 pairs and decide which one was best. Still, even though I only saved $150.00 instead of $200.00, hey, $150.00 is still pretty substaintial in my book. I agree with the others that said don't pay full retail for them. A couple of years ago, I called the SF store to see if they had that boot and the SA told me that he had one pair left at the time (size 10.5--I need a 9.5, maybe 10) for $150.00. No, that price is not a typo. So, while I doubt that you'll see that price again, I think if it gets down to @ $400.00 or so, it's worth getting. Yup, they have this boot in the SF store because I tried it on. For me, this is the best fitting Chelsea given my funky sized feet. How good was it? Suffice to say, I was so impressed with the fit and comfort that I almost paid Barney's full asking price for them. Luckily, my SF-bargain-indicator light went off and stopped me. This is a stock boot from C&J, so size-wise, just order one size down from the size you fit at Barneys when you order from overseas. I tried on the BB Peal Chelseas (not the chukka) and quite honestly, while they fit well, they felt "thin". Meaning that the boot didn't feel robust like the C&J. Don't get me wrong, they aren't cheaply made or anything like that, but I prefer a shoe / boot that has a little bit more "heft". And, being the bargain shopper that I am, they were 50% off and yet I still didn't get them. Quite honestly, even if they were under $200.00, I still wouldn't have purchased them. But, that's just me. I'm sure there's plenty of people who have it and love it regardless of what price they paid for it.
Thanks a ton for the info! I tried on the C&J chelsea at Barney's today and also liked it. However, I'm currently still debating what to do. Thankfully I also didn't purchase it at full price, partially because I have only one pair of nice shoes right now (a pair of AE oxfords that are slightly too big). And those aren't really for a night out to the club or for wearing with nice jeans. So, I'm almost rationalizing buying a few styles and colors of department store shoes, and wearing them until they wear out. That way I could replace / upgrade to a high-end shoe when one of the low-end styles wears out. Does that sound like acceptable logic for StyleForum? I just don't have $1500 for three pairs of boots so that I have the color and style choice I'd like on a daily basis. And I'm afraid if I buy a $500 pair that they won't be "perfect" and thus I will feel that I spent too much. So for now I'm still looking for chukkas and chelseas in oxblood, black, and dark brown.
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
291
Did you head to Wilkes Bashford to check out their selection? They have a great hi-end shoe selection and James in the shoe department there is top notch.
 

samssf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
I did but it turns out they're closed on Sunday, so I'll try to head there tomorrow after work.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 14 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 69 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 128 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 67 17.2%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 27 6.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 22 5.6%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 24 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,471
Messages
9,198,784
Members
193,199
Latest member
Havoing1940

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top