• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these Ralph Lauren's made by Alden Cape Cod?

spidercan

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom is that Ralph Lauren made in USA shoes are made by Alden Cape Cod. However the Turin loafers have a different sole pattern than the other made in USA Ralph Laurens and seem to retail for double the amount of their light-soled brethren. Does anybody know who makes them? Alden Cape Cod
7S_H466.jpg
Normal Ralph Lauren USA
313752b.jpg
The Turin. Aside from the darker color, the stitching is different, although the heel nail pattern is the same
P1010920.jpg
(stole this picture from AnGeLiCbOrIs' listing)

gtnc

Reaction score
This question comes up fairly regularly. Try a search for Cape Cod and Polo US and you can get the details. The gist of the story is this: The Cape Cod line of Alden is a value line that isn't made in the Alden factory, but by another shoe mfg in the Northeast. The Polo made in the US shoes are made in the same factory as the Cape Cods (the name of the company escapes me). The Polo US loafers are decent shoes, but not at the Polo price point. I would say they are better than Bass or Cole Hahn, but nowhere near an Alden or AE. They are a decent shoe when they can be had on Amazon or Grapevinehill for around $100, but much better shoes can are available when they get up to the $325 Polo retail price. My two cents...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Via AAAC from the Definitive list of RL thread

"There is a factory in Maine - "workshop" might be the better word - that is rumored to be the last remaining US handsewing facility. They have changed hands, gone under different names and produced shoes for many retailers. It was once named Ansewn and the last I read it had been purchased by Alden to make their Cape Cod line. They have made shoes for Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Paul Stuart and others. On the evidence of style and detail it seems to me that they make the handsewns for AE as well. I once owned a pair in black shell, obviously made there, retailed by Paul Stuart under the name... wait for it... Edward Green. Yes, USA-made Edward Green shells. PS carried them for a while in the 80s and they had a combination of English style, higher vamp and squared tongue, with that trademark American loafer look."

sunman42000

Reaction score
Who makes the Turin??? That's definitely a different factory. The other stuff is all old news. The question here is about the Turin

videocrew

Reaction score
Gotta be the same factory, that shoe looks like every Cole Haan I've ever owned except with a more Alden-esque sole. The handsewing is classic Cole Haan, stands to reason it's made in their old factory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics