• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these loafers too big? Would sizing down help?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might help to get properly measured and know your Brannock size. Then ask for sizing advice from the company.

You also seem to be wearing a sport sock with a tassel loafer. Try a dress sock to know what size you should really take.
Brannock hasn't helped me much. I'm around a 9.80D US if such a size existed. The size up there is 8.5UK

Herring is the company. Unfortunately couldn't offer much sizing advice considering I've never bought loafers or any UK made shoes before.

I don't plan on wearing dress socks with these, definitely a fully casual pair for me.

I'll contact them again of course, but just wanted to see other's thoughts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brannock hasn't helped me much. I'm around a 9.80D US if such a size existed. The size up there is 8.5UK

Herring is the company. Unfortunately couldn't offer much sizing advice considering I've never bought loafers or any UK made shoes before.

I don't plan on wearing dress socks with these, definitely a fully casual pair for me.

I'll contact them again of course, but just wanted to see other's thoughts.

Assuming you've been measured correctly, that seems strange.

Going up or down on the length of a shoe can be as little as a difference of 1/8". Even in your second photo, I think you would have to size down more than a half. Usually, you can barely even see that the shoe is too big when it's only a half size up -- the heel just slips out.

With some exceptions, like Edward Green, most UK sizes are a full size down from your US Brannock size. So you should be a 8.5E or F in UK sizing, but maybe it's 8E or F. I just don't think going a half size down will be enough.

FWIW, it's especially important to get the size right on loafers because, even when sized right, the heels can slip on the first wearing. That's because you can't really lace them up, so you have to break in the sole before your heel stays put. But if they're too tight, they'll also always feel uncomfortable.

Even if worn casually, I think a sport sock looks off with tassel loafers, but horses for courses.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you've been measured correctly, that seems strange.

Going up or down on the length of a shoe can be as little as a difference of 1/8". Even in your second photo, I think you would have to size down more than a half. Usually, you can barely even see that the shoe is too big when it's only a half size up -- the heel just slips out.

With some exceptions, like Edward Green, most UK sizes are a full size down from your US Brannock size. So you should be a 8.5E or F in UK sizing, but maybe it's 8E or F. I just don't think going a half size down will be enough.

FWIW, it's especially important to get the size right on loafers because, even when sized right, the heels can slip on the first wearing. That's because you can't really lace them up, so you have to break in the sole before your heel stays put. But if they're too tight, they'll also always feel uncomfortable.

Even if worn casually, I think a sport sock looks off with tassel loafers, but horses for courses.
Ah, I didn't know 1/8" was all the difference between sizes. It feels like much more of a difference on laced shoes vs. loafers, not sure if it's just in my head.

Yeah, I'm definitely fussing quite a bit on loafer sizing, it's very unforgiving and requires patience. If tight though, they might stretch because of the nature of suede I would think.

Hmm, I'm open to understanding your POV as to why sport socks look off with tassel loafers, I don't really get it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm open to understanding your POV as to why sport socks look off with tassel loafers, I don't really get it.

Sport socks are typically used with sport shoes, which is to say sneakers. Dress socks are used with the kind of shoes you'd expect from Alden and the like. That includes more casual shoes such as the tassel loafer.

emptym

Reaction score
Those socks look like they're intended to be worn with sneakers, work boots, or moccasins (boat shoes, camp mocs, moccasin boots). Tassel loafers are fairly dressy, and thus generally worn with sport coats or even suits.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport socks are typically used with sport shoes, which is to say sneakers. Dress socks are used with the kind of shoes you'd expect from Alden and the like. That includes more casual shoes such as the tassel loafer.
Those socks look like they're intended to be worn with sneakers, work boots, or moccasins (boat shoes, camp mocs, moccasin boots). Tassel loafers are fairly dressy, and thus generally worn with sport coats or even suits.
Ah, gotcha. Thought they'd be casual enough because they're suede.

Gotta update my sock wardrobe then and figure out if I want to go down the thin dress sock route.

emptym

Reaction score
I don't think dress socks need to be thin, though they usually are. One thing that would help would be for the ribbing to extend all the way down to the toes. Uniqlo has pretty cheap socks that do that and aren't super thin. NMWA has some very thick dress socks by Dore Dore, particularly the "chunky ribbed" ones.

Argyle or fairisle could work with those shoes too, and they're often fairly thick.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think dress socks need to be thin, though they usually are. One thing that would help would be for the ribbing to extend all the way down to the toes. Uniqlo has pretty cheap socks that do that and aren't super thin. NMWA has some very thick dress socks by Dore Dore, particularly the "chunky ribbed" ones.

Argyle or fairisle could work with those shoes too, and they're often fairly thick.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics