1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are these loafers too big? Would sizing down help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FlyingHorker, Jun 18, 2018.

1. FlyingHorker

FlyingHorker Senior Member

This is my foot pushed up against the toebox as far as I can go.

[​IMG]

Do you guys think a half size down would work?

Currently, the toe box feels fine, but my foot nearly flops out after taking a couple of steps. I can slip the shoe on too easily with no shoe horn. I've never bought loafers before, so I'm not really familiar with how they should fit.

I've had heel slip problems with a lot of shoes due to having medium arches, yet low volume feet.

2. soaped

soaped Senior Member

Looks very large - perhaps try even a size down if the toe box isn't narrow for you.

3. FlyingHorker

Toe box is currently comfortably snug. 1 full size down would definitely be too tight.

I'm worried that 0.5 size down might make it too tight, but I don't know. I do know that the width can be stretched, I've done that for all my shoes.

4. soaped

soaped Senior Member

A little bit of slippage is going to be unavoidable. From the picture though it looks like you should definitely try sizing down.

If you're walking and your heels fall out, then you need to try a different size.

5. FlyingHorker

Gotcha, thanks man.

6. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior Member

Do you have low instep or flat feet/sunken arch?
    Sizing down isn't always the way to go either.

7. FlyingHorker

Nope, I have a medium arch, low volume.

8. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior Member

OK. Are you able to try them on in a store?
    Maybe the width is wrong for you. I would not buy a shoe where the toe box is tight, or toes are even hitting the front. I would not buy loafers that were too big either, though.

9. FlyingHorker

Unfortunately not, these are from Herring overseas and I don't think they have differing widths.

I agree, I'm starting to think maybe Alden loafers might be the only ones that might be able to fit me, but I can't afford them.

10. Wowee Zowee

Wowee Zowee Well-Known Member

I would try half size down and play around with thin insoles and/or tongue pads.

11. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

You really do need to go to a bricks and mortar shop; asking a question on a web board does not reflect your feet in the slightest. On line purchases are fine but there can be serious limitations as you have established. Width, length and last all contribute to fit and you need to establish the best balance for YOU. You can't wear a computer!

Do you wear socks like those day in, day out? They appear to be very thick and could well reflect the difference of half a size, width etc. Go to a shop, there should be no objection to you bringing one or two pairs of socks; if there is, go somewhere else.

Alternately do you really need to wear socks? That move would give you a constant foot size.

12. FlyingHorker

I've gone to a B&M before locally, but there aren't many options where I live. They didn't carry any GYW suede loafers, and didn't seem too keen on ordering them in for me, especially because I wasn't fitting into many of the laced shoes they DID carry.

So admittedly this is a hail mary thread and just hoping it works out.

Yeah I generally wear socks like these with all my shoes, I'd describe them as medium width. Not comfortable going no socks unless the shoes are unlined, boat shoes, or flip flops.

I do have a pair of bluchers where I can only wear thin dress socks and it definitely compounds my volume issue and heel slip as you suggest.

13. jts287

jts287 Active Member

Bought a pair of Testoni loafers new on eBay a month ago, in my size. They're gorgeous, but the right foot has some gap, but not as much as yours. Since there's a certain amount of movement/rubbing when I walk, it has given me a particularly painful blister. Take it from me; you want to avoid that situation.

14. FlyingHorker

Good News: I don't think toebox room/width/instep will be an issue as I feel no difference 0.5 size down

Bad News: Still too big!

[​IMG]

Alright, so go 0.5 size down, or a full size down then?

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Might help to get properly measured and know your Brannock size. Then ask for sizing advice from the company.

You also seem to be wearing a sport sock with a tassel loafer. Try a dress sock to know what size you should really take.