• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are these Grafton's worth the asking price

Lazarevsky

Reaction score
Hi gentry,

Long time (1.5 years) forum lurker here! First of all I just wanna say that I've enjoyed reading through the hundreds of threads on this forum and the advice and wealth of information I have received has tremendously helped me step up my style.

Of late I got into shoes and been reading the different threads religiously. After reading a thread which was a strong endorsement of Church's Grafton I decided to check eBay to see if I could find a deal on them. After scrolling through hundreds of different ads I stumbled upon this par:

As I am still very much at the beginning of my, rather expensive, journey in the world of quality shoes I am having the most difficult of times deciding whether 150 british pounds is a reasonable price for these shoes (in the state that they're in). The shoes show slight creasing with no cracks whatsoever. The soles seem worn but since I have never owned a quality shoe before I can't tell what the state of the sole is.

An important thing to note is that this seems to be an older model as it's been constructed using the last #100. According to the Church's aficionados, it offers a rounder toe which I quite like. Comparing these to the Graftons on offer on the official Church's website supports that.

I would greatly appreciate if the gentry could advice before I make an expensive mistake.

Thank you so much in advance for your comments.

EDIT:
I am well aware that these are Polished Binder and am perfectly fine with that. I just wanted to get your opinion on whether these shoes in the state (uppers, soles) that they're in are worth 150GBP.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those look like polished binder shoes, which means the surface has been corrected. You can get much better ones for the money. have you looked at Meermin? They're a bit stiff at first, but generally well made. If you're browsing eBay, you can also

1. Check the box "include description."
2. Do a search for "Ralph Lauren England."
3. Filter for "men's shoes"

This will bring up all the Ralph Lauren shoes made in England. I find the styles to be reasonably classic, and they're often better looking than semi-affordable brands such as Allen Edmonds. At the same time, they're made by one of the better Northampton factories. And since Ralph Lauren as a generic search term typically brings up a bunch of junk, most people don't filter for "made in England" shoes, allowing you to score a better deal.

Lazarevsky

Reaction score
Those look like polished binder shoes, which means the surface has been corrected. You can get much better ones for the money. have you looked at Meermin? They're a bit stiff at first, but generally well made. If you're browsing eBay, you can also

1. Check the box "include description."
2. Do a search for "Ralph Lauren England."
3. Filter for "men's shoes"

This will bring up all the Ralph Lauren shoes made in England. I find the styles to be reasonably classic, and they're often better looking than semi-affordable brands such as Allen Edmonds. At the same time, they're made by one of the better Northampton factories. And since Ralph Lauren as a generic search term typically brings up a bunch of junk, most people don't filter for "made in England" shoes, allowing you to score a better deal.
Thank you for the search criteria. Some interesting results showed up and am busy listing through them. Regarding the Grafton, polished binder aside, do you think they're in a good state?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for the search criteria. Some interesting results showed up and am busy listing through them. Regarding the Grafton, polished binder aside, do you think they're in a good state?
I don't know if I would describe them as being in a good state, but they're certainly not in very bad state. They seem standard for second-hand shoes.

Oshare

Reaction score
I regularly buy second hand shoes to wear, so have a bit of experience in that area.

From the pictures, they look more like corrected grain calf leather to my eyes... not polished binder, which is a whole other thing that I would generally avoid. The uppers seem to be in good shape from the photos.

The soles are questionable, though. The right shoe's heel will need a replacement very soon, and the previous owner probably dragged his toes resulting in somewhat heavy toe wear. The bottoms look pretty weather worn, so I wouldn't be surprised if they needed a full resoling job sooner rather than later.

With that amount of wear, 100 GBP as a starting price seems a bit high to me. You might be able to find a better pair with a bit of patience.

FYI there is a very active and friendly vintage dress shoe appreciation thread here. We focus more on vintage USA and Canadian brands, but you could ask for an opinion there.

JUAN MANUEL

Reaction score
Hello, maybe 150 pounds is too much.

But they doesn't look as polish binder to my eyes, maybe they are cordovan or crup for brits. I can't find the typical cracks that appear in binder leather. You can see my Graftons in 10.5UK in crup as an example.

Check if you can return them. There is a thread about cordovan where you might find help. Good luck.
P8150326.JPG
P8150323.JPG
P8150334.JPG

Attachments

Reiver

Reaction score
Hello, maybe 150 pounds is too much.

But they doesn't look as polish binder to my eyes, maybe they are cordovan or crup for brits. I can't find the typical cracks that appear in binder leather. You can see my Graftons in 10.5UK in crup as an example.

Check if you can return them. There is a thread about cordovan where you might find help. Good luck.
View attachment 1204577View attachment 1204578View attachment 1204579
I have to agree with this. I also think the ones listed look like shell Cordovan in which case the price is good.

I have a pair and the insole is marked “genuine cordovan” but I have seen other examples which weren’t.

If they are cordovan or crup as it’s also known then the original rrp was quite high. Cordovan is also very resilient.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.