• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are These Features Conservative?

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I need to buy some suits for a conservative setting (law firm). I plan on buying one navy suit and one charcoal suit. I've been browsing many of the recommended sites for deals. Problem is, I'm not sure whether some of the features I see are considered conservative, outlandish, or somewhere in between.

Take a look at this Valentino jacket:

VAL-21888-6-PEAK-1.jpg

First, are the peak lapels considered fashion-forward? Second, is the double-pocket outlandish? I really like the suit, but I'm not sure it'd be appropriate in a law firm or for an interview with a firm.

Also, look at this Baroni jacket:

GRAY812139_7.jpg

Is it me, or are the "X" stitches on the pockets and cuffs somewhat odd? Can they be removed without damaging the jacket? Does anyone consider that feature conservative?

lbcgav

Reaction score
I think most on this forum would say don't go with a peak lapel for a law firm job. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ticket (third) pocket. As far as the X stitches you refer to, those are meant to be removed. They are used to keep the pocket flaps in place. The style of the Brioni is probably the more suitable for a law firm, although I prefer the Valentino's silhouette and button stance.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, no one at most law firms would even notice a peak lapel these days. As long as you don't have five buttons or a Mao collar you're all right.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Style Pontifex,

The law as a profession is very conservative field. I mean, they just moved taking the Bar to electronic format a few years ago! No, really, all of my experience with the profession has taught me that lawyers like rules and like bankers do not like surprises. From this viewpoint, I offer you my opinion on the two suits -

Suit 1 - too fashion forward. You nailed it with the peak lapels and ticket pocket. The color is fine, and maybe you could get away with a ticket pocket....but the peak lapels are too much unless you are an established lawyer vs. one seeking to impress interviewers.

Suit 2 - the X are just holding the pockets in place and come off. This suit is acceptable. How old are you? A charcoal grey maybe a better bet, as that it won't make you look younger like navy will.

There is a lot of great info out there. Consider reading up at this online men's style guide or if you only have 3 minutes this Google Knol on the suit is a good intro.

Also, here is an how to dress for an interview article - it's geared towards MBAs, but having been around tons of young lawyers at a top school, I can assure you the scenes are similar.

Best of luck

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Honestly, no one at most law firms would even notice a peak lapel these days. As long as you don't have five buttons or a Mao collar you're all right.
+1

First suit looks much nicer and is not outlandish at all.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The suits look fine to me. I think your shirt, tie, and other accessories will swing it one way or the other.

mdg137

Reaction score
well, Im a lawyer and I just ordered a navy, peak lapel suit with ticket pocket-- and Im on the verge of ordering one in charcoal as well...

Granted, Im in private practice, so I dont have a partner looking me over-- BUT, most firms are much more casual these days, and most people know peak from notch anyway.

I think those who pay attention to the details lose perspective on what most people notice-- especially when there are forums for us to participate in, it can create a somewhat distorted view of reality, where we become a kind of self-reinforcing group.

I was at a wedding two weeks ago and saw some absolutely criminal combinations of clothing fit, color, and style-- when I stepped back and looked at the whole picture, literally almost every man there was embracing some form(s) of sartorial faux pas (Im sure, in some way, myself included).

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I really like the cut of that Valentino jacket. Everything about it, really.

Are they decently made now, or as bad as they used to be? Fused and so on. I had a Valentino Uomo tux through college, and after just a couple drycleanings it went all bubbly on me.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Valentino suit looks good. Good deal too.
wink.gif

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of law firms a business causal these days. It really depends on the firm's particular culture. If a firm is business casual, you will get more attention from the act of wearing a suit than from wearing a suit with peak lapels.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I do agree the Valentino is attractive. Indeed, I purchased it just a while ago. ;]

I have heard of the trend in firms toward business casual, but I plan on entering a large firm (200+ employees); apparently most larger firms still abide by the suit-and-tie code. Even if they don't, I will still need one for interviews and such.

Sprezzatura: I am not sure whether Valentino suits are low-, mid-, or high-quality these days. I can tell you that this specific suit is fully-canvased. I figured its price allowed experimentation. If you'd like, I could let you know how it fits after it arrives.

R-H

Reaction score
I think there is a bit of confusion in this thread about the first suit. That suit is a Marco Valentino, sold by the 'Wizard of Ahs' on Ebay. It is partially fused (in the lapels if I recall correctly). Valentino is something entirely different.

If the OP is worried about that suit not being conservative enough, I would suggest he purchase the notch lapel version.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
No, really, all of my experience with the profession has taught me that lawyers like rules and like bankers do not like surprises.
I would agree that bankers don't like surprises but in matters of dress investment banks tend to be pretty relaxed. I once worked at a firm where most people wore shorts and T-shirts, although that was admittedly one extreme of the spectrum.

However, even at bulge-bracket houses most people neither know nor care about the details of your suit provided that it looks neat and clean. I would venture to say that 95% of my colleagues are not aware that peaked lapels might be seen as fashion forward. Probably 80% are not really aware that there are different lapel styles.
smile.gif

It also matters where you work. In the City bankers dress with far less conservatism than in Manhattan, in my experience. Tokyo is also quite laid back as there's a strong Brit/Aussie influence.

Unfortunately I'm not qualified to speak on law firms, which is what the OP was interested in.

TD

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
That suit is a Marco Valentino, sold by the 'Wizard of Ahs' on Ebay. It is partially fused (in the lapels if I recall correctly).

Ah, yes, it's an MV, but the seller did advertise it as fully-canvased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics