1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are these decent shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Aug 5, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I just got a pair of really cool Moreschis from Bluefly for use as a casual shoe (jeans, chinos, etc.). I LOVE THEM. And they smell better than any other shoe I've had. But it just makes me realize that I need another pair of casual shoes to rotate with them (I formerly just kept wearing the same casual pair every dah). On weekends, I just won't let myself wear the Moreschis more than once. So, I thought these might be good with cords/jeans. I've never had a suede shoe before though. Thoughts? Are these decent shoes?

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Link is to a pair of Ralph Lauren shoes. Nice ones though.

3. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

They're quite inexpensive, and with Bluefly's return policy, why are we even having this conversation? [​IMG] I hadn't worn suede shoes for about five years, and a couple of weeks ago decided to get a pair. Got some of the suede Moreschis from Bluefly as a matter of fact. I'd say buy these and if they look decent, keep them. Just remember to spray 'em with some suede protectant before you get them dirty, buy a suede eraser and brush, and you're all set.

4. johnnynorman3

I bought 'em. $74 after shipping with the 15% code. I returned the McCallum boots though -- which is why I'm looking for another casual pair. The 10.5 McCallums didn't fit -- and they weren't quite me either. I'm happy enough saving the money anyways. Now I can pine over the C & J handgrades for a while (though my Alden captoes are a lot darker brown than I remember, and thus it may be unnecessary to buy another pair of brown shoes, but we'll see; on that score, for "suit shoes" I have 2 pair of black, 1 pair of burgundy, and one pair of brown. Would you get one more pair of brown?).

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

Retronotmetro -- suede protector? What sort would you recommend?

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

I've used Tana suede protector, and Kiwi. I don't think there's any real quality difference between the two--same parent company IIRC.

7. johnnynorman3

Here are the Moreschis I was talking about. The picture really doesn't do them justice -- really a fantastic shoe. The leather glows.My new favorite shoes

8. TomW

TomW Senior Member

Glad you like them jn.. I am seriously considering those very shoes myself, though I am having difficulty in justifying another pair at the moment.

9. NYCDan

NYCDan Well-Known Member

JN3, do you find the Moreschis on par with the Italy made Ralph Lauren's? I think those are very nice and would be a good casual Friday shoe?

10. johnnynorman3

I have both the Moreschis and the Polo Brawley captoes.

First, the Moreschis that I highlighted unfortunately only have an 11.5 left I think. However, as for sizing, my opinion is that Moreschi sizing runs true to size or 1/4" small for this particular shoe. I ordered an 11 and it fits, though I can even put my orthotics in and still be comfortable. The Brawleys I am an 11, and doubt I could put orthos in without getting too tight. Polo Ed Greens I wear a 10.

So, that said, the Moreshis I highlighted are from the Goldline. I find the construction slightly better than the Polo Brawleys. The leather in the Moreschis is thinner, but not by much. But it also is better finished IMO. The Polo's I am very impressed with, however. I put them on today (black captoes) and I was struck by just how elegant the last is, and the leather is very good. They are goodyear welted, I believe, while the Moreschis appear black stitched. Notwithstanding that, however, I think the Moreschis are still better constructed. Between the non-Goldline Moreschis though and the Polos, the Polos win hands down.