• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these Canali Ties Fake?

rubbishtheory

Reaction score
Hi
I listed a couple of Canali ties on Ebay with a link from the buying and selling forum on SF -

Here is the tread from Buying & Selling: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=108331

One member alerted me that they might be fake and sent me some links to other Canali ties and forum discussions - about fake ones.

I immediately removed the listings from Ebay so I could do some research and see what I could come up with...I am not interested in selling fakes and I believed they were real. They are used but all in immaculate condition throughout.

The quality seems very high - the cloth is quite thick and the pattern and weave is seemingly of a high quality - they have decent stitching and a label at the narrow end in French and English stating that they were made in Italy.

Can any one answer for sure whether these are real or fake?

Here are pictures of the two ties + another one which I had not yet listed.

I am really grateful for any help on this one - As I said I am not interested in selling fakes.

Thanks very much.

TEHesketh

Reaction score
I don't think anyone can give you an answer with any certainty, although plenty of people probably think they can.

For what its worth, I have two Canali ties, bought new at the same time in a Canali concession (so I'm pretty sure they are genuine :) ). I suspect they are manufactured by different factories for Canali because they differ in the detailing, i.e. the "Canali" embroidered in the lining is a slightly different size and font. One has a keeper, one doesn't and the labels are slightly different.

People tend to expect all the products coming from suppliers like Canali to be identical, and will base their opinion as to whether it is genuine or not on how similar it is to one that they own or have seen on the internet, but my own experience is that they can differ significantly.

In the end, if you have a bunch of high quality ties, they are not going to be cheap fakes, so it all depends on how confident you are that you can recognise a quality tie.

Rob

(P.s. One of mine has identical detailing to yours, so yours might be a very good expensive fakes :) )

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEHesketh
I don't think anyone can give you an answer with any certainty, although plenty of people probably think they can.

lol8[1].gif

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEHesketh
(P.s. One of mine has identical detailing to yours, so yours might be a very good expensive fakes :) )
When you say it has identical detailing, do you mean the labelling (on the holder and down at the tip) or something else? It'd be nice to sort this one out - or at least decide it's impossible to be sorted out. (Sometimes acknowledging that we don't know is as important as knowing!) Because until we do, one way or the other I think people are going to rush around claiming all sorts of things... I should add that quite a few people here must have bought Canali ties at the B&S here similar to the one above. I know, because a number of them were sold here a few months back - and I was one of the buyers. For what it's worth, IMO mine is either the real deal or an extremely fastidious copy! (Which kind of defies common sense about fakes, but still.)

bt61184

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are those tags and blue tacks not consistent b/t ties? Wouldn't a high quality company like Canali try to be consistent b/t ties?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned Canali ties before, they look real to me. They had those same type of labels.

BG Cane

Reaction score
I own a few Canali pieces and these look authentic to me.

rubbishtheory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bt61184
Is it just me, or are those tags and blue tacks not consistent b/t ties? Wouldn't a high quality company like Canali try to be consistent b/t ties?

The tags are all the same on the ties pictured - they are the same tags/labels on all three ties -
So I don't really understand what you are saying - they are consistent...

CatsEyes

Reaction score
I don't think consistency is the issue here. The question is: do Canali tag their ties like this? Mine sole Canali tie looks exactly like these, too.

illeagle

Reaction score
I own several fake Canali ties and these look just like them!

illeagle

Reaction score
oh, I was just kidding... get it...because fakes are supposed to look like the real thing... never mind

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads