• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are These AEs Sharkskin?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked these up on eBay. I don't think I've ever seen sharkskin in anything but black/grey. These are definitely brown. Are they shark. They are AE Warton monks.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to me more like a snake or lizard of some kind. Call AE with the numbers and you'll get an answer for sure.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds just don't seem the type to work in sharkskin.
confused.gif

The first thing I thought was "damaged leather."

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ostrich?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look like sharkskin that was dyed brown. PAGING LABELKING!!!!!!

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I think they are made from either 1) scrotum, or 2) Cow belly stretch marked skin, or Octo Mom had some extra belly skin.

I think someone has asked the same question about 6 months ago, and I believe the consensus was sharkskin.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A nice pair of AE Tulanes came up recently and someone on the FL asked the same question. Conclusion was it was fake without the shark type ridged surface.FWIW

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely shark.

They must have a few long years on them since AE doesn't make shark anymore.

Eagle

Reaction score
E used to sell sharkskin versions of their Shelton in all black or a color they listed as raisin (looked to be a combination of brown and burgundy). I have a pair of the Black calf on black shark Sheltons. Shark is an incredibly tough, scuff resistant material for shoes.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the responses. I hadn't tried them on prior to posting this and I'm happy to say they fit perfectly. I quite like them and, Steve, that means there's at least one pair of them you'll never be forced to wear.
smile.gif

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Thanks to all for the responses. I hadn't tried them on prior to posting this and I'm happy to say they fit perfectly. I quite like them and, Steve, that means there's at least one pair of them you'll never be forced to wear.
smile.gif

My apologies, i hould not of put my .02 cents in. The leather looks nice though. i hope you enjoy them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads