• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there rules for matching / complementing patterns?

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Let's say I've got a black and white herringbone polo coat. For the sake of argument let's imagine it looks like this:

coat.jpg

Now let's assume I'd like to wear a cap and a scarf with said coat. Should I avoid herringbone in the cap? Or would something like this work:

cordingspicadilly.jpg
Finally let's say I add a scarf with a plaid pattern. Like so:

3466A1__48596.1477043673.jpg

Is the whole too loud and busy? Or does it work?

What cap and scarf would you pair with this coat?

Thanks for the advice!

Diamondflame

Reaction score
I have a very similar-looking herringbone peacoat. IMO the herringbone pattern offers more of a texture, subtle enough to avoid clashing with the bolder checks on the scarf. I’m not too confident about that cap though; doesn’t seem like a good fit. IMO mixing cool with warm tones in an outfit could get tricky if it’s not done in the right proportions.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks Diamondflame.

How about if the cap were in a gray/charcoal but still a herringbone? Like this:

charcoalcap.jpg

Or a navy donegal?

AranSwMarkNavyDonegalGatsby.jpg
What about a prince of wales check in gray?

lockegresham_flat_cap_3.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ Diamondflame. I think any of those three caps would be a better choice to go w/ that coat. I don't wear hats much, but were I to choose one of the three I would choose the navy donegal.

Also - would try to choose pants that weren't too busy w/ that coat.

I'm also not sure I'd do a Burberry-ish scarf in general. Like that guy clearly means to look like Burberry check but it isn't.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I have a grey herringbone coat (mine is a little darker than pictured one) and a POW hat like the one you pictured and have found that they don't go together well.

My go-to hat to pair with mine has been a charcoal plain wool. I feel the Donegal pictured might work well for you.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the donegal. It's tough to have two dominant patterns and have it work well. The charcoal herringbone would be the second choice but the prince of whales would clash IMO and the brown hat just wouldn't work well.

Alexography

Reaction score
I'm one for pushing what 'clashing' colours and patterns I wear together and believe the second three hats are the much better option. I would probably not match the herringbone patterns as would be too uniform for my taste. I would probably agree with the others that the donegal might work best, however that wouldn't mean the prince of wales wouldn't work. It would most likely be my choice.

Imo a plain scarf would look much more elegant. Jazz it up with the other patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads