• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are there rules for matching / complementing patterns?

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Let's say I've got a black and white herringbone polo coat. For the sake of argument let's imagine it looks like this:

coat.jpg

Now let's assume I'd like to wear a cap and a scarf with said coat. Should I avoid herringbone in the cap? Or would something like this work:

cordingspicadilly.jpg
Finally let's say I add a scarf with a plaid pattern. Like so:

3466A1__48596.1477043673.jpg

Is the whole too loud and busy? Or does it work?

What cap and scarf would you pair with this coat?

Thanks for the advice!

Diamondflame

Reaction score
I have a very similar-looking herringbone peacoat. IMO the herringbone pattern offers more of a texture, subtle enough to avoid clashing with the bolder checks on the scarf. I’m not too confident about that cap though; doesn’t seem like a good fit. IMO mixing cool with warm tones in an outfit could get tricky if it’s not done in the right proportions.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks Diamondflame.

How about if the cap were in a gray/charcoal but still a herringbone? Like this:

charcoalcap.jpg

Or a navy donegal?

AranSwMarkNavyDonegalGatsby.jpg
What about a prince of wales check in gray?

lockegresham_flat_cap_3.jpg

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I agree w/ Diamondflame. I think any of those three caps would be a better choice to go w/ that coat. I don't wear hats much, but were I to choose one of the three I would choose the navy donegal.

Also - would try to choose pants that weren't too busy w/ that coat.

I'm also not sure I'd do a Burberry-ish scarf in general. Like that guy clearly means to look like Burberry check but it isn't.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I have a grey herringbone coat (mine is a little darker than pictured one) and a POW hat like the one you pictured and have found that they don't go together well.

My go-to hat to pair with mine has been a charcoal plain wool. I feel the Donegal pictured might work well for you.

johng70

Reaction score
I agree with the donegal. It's tough to have two dominant patterns and have it work well. The charcoal herringbone would be the second choice but the prince of whales would clash IMO and the brown hat just wouldn't work well.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.