• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any times you do not wear a pocket square?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with a sportcoat????

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None for me. If I have a sports coat on, I have a pocket square (unless I forgot).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - many times, when I do not want to outdress the clients I'm meeting. This is especially valid for me for client meetings in the industrial midwest or south

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never wear a pocket square with a jacket. Almost never with a suit, unless I'm at a social event. Even then, a simple white square.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Until a month or two ago my answer was I would always wear a square with a tailored jacket. But since then I've experimented combining them with jeans and as a result of feedback here and in real life, I've stopped using a square in that context. Just looks better without frankly.

I would now extend that principle to say that anytime I'm wearing particularly casual trousers such as jeans with an odd jacket, my default position will be no square. Smart trouser and jacket, the square's back. And almost certainly if I'm wearing a tie, I would want a square.

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
If I wear a jacket--suit or odd--a pocket square is always in attendance.

+1

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Until a month or two ago my answer was I would always wear a square with a tailored jacket. But since then I've experimented combining them with jeans and as a result of feedback here and in real life, I've stopped using a square in that context. Just looks better without frankly.

I would now extend that principle to say that anytime I'm wearing particularly casual trousers such as jeans with an odd jacket, my default position will be no square. Smart trouser and jacket, the square's back. And almost certainly if I'm wearing a tie, I would want a square.

I like to wear this one with jeans and an odd jacket:

http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...uct=FHSQ-Lin16

The texture of the linen and the light blue color complement jeans well IMO.

To answer the title question, I'm new to wearing pocket squares, but I'm now very rarely without one.

alflauren

Reaction score
To be honest, the number of pocket squares that I have is greater than the number of times I've worn one. I think I have 7.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am wearing a jacket with a pocket for a square, there is a square in the pocket, end of matter!

I think it was Badrabbit who said, either here on AAAC, "I'd rather be found dead in a ditch than without my pocket square." The same goes for me!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll wear them fairly infrequently, on more festive occasions, usually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads