• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any reasonable bespoke shoemakers?

Chow Chow

Reaction score
Surprising as it may seem, Istanbul was/is known for having a number of quality bespoke shoemakers, though from what I recall from passing their windows, their styling would probably not be up to the highest standards. I believe there is at least one poster on this forum based in Istanbul, and whether he can provide any information.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
http://www.wellesley.edu/PublicAffai...l/thansen.html

So we're going to be measured and fitted by a Wellesley German professor?
laugh.gif

palladio211

Reaction score
I'm skeptical of ordering anything custom unless you're at the source or the source comes to you (i.e. a regular employee of the company). I've had bad results ordering custom items from measurements taken by a local representative. In the case of Dehner boots, I ended up with a $1000 pair that didn't fit and no one wanted to take back. The next time around I was sure to be fitted for Vogel's by Mr. Vogel himself, with excellent results.

One can easily end up in a situation where there is a middleman and everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else. If the guy who makes them or owns the company does your fittings, it's pretty tough for them to let you leave the shop with anything less than a perfect fit. This goes for everything from shoes, to boots, to saddles.

I think if I was going to go the European route (Italy, Budapest, whatever), I would only do so if I had time to travel there to be fitted in the shop.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might want to consider Jan Kielman in Warsaw, a company founded in 1883 and still run by the same family.

They are accepting orders and measurements via the internet. (I do not know, if this is a good idea and if it works.)
http://www.kielman.pl/en/zamowienia/

Their starting price is FLN 1900 = USD 850 or EUR 550.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was the european shoe maker that posted here 6 months back about certified hides? I can't recall who he was but his were bespoke I think and I thought they were "reasonable". They looked sharp with elephant or something close. Any ideas?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Who was the european shoe maker that posted here 6 months back about certified hides?
That was Jan Myhre from Oslo, a wonderful shoemaker
(judging by the pictures, never seen in real life).

http://www.bespoke-shoes.com/

But......Norway is about the most expensive country in Europe.
Although, I do not know Myhre's prices, they won't be bargain basement.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

They were very high as I recall, higher than London, and though not quite Lobb Paris, at least as much as Gomez.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was Jan Myhre from Oslo, a wonderful shoemaker
(judging by the pictures, never seen in real life).

http://www.bespoke-shoes.com/

I really loved the workmanship and thought he had something of that mad scientist crazy genius wunderkind feel about him. In a good way.

I believe "Timeless Rider" got a pair and could comment some more.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

From USD 2.800 and up.

A Canuker, ask the.chikor, he can give you a detailed information.

To palladio211:

As I understand the business model of Maftei for the US. Mr. Hansen is responsible for the correspondence and arranging the appointments etc.

Lucian Maftei speaks English, but it is always good to have a native speaker at your side, when you enter a "new" market. You can ask him: [email protected]

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
From USD 2.800 and up.

A Canuker, ask the.chikor, he can give you a detailed information.

To palladio211:

As I understand the business model of Maftei for the US. Mr. Hansen is responsible for the correspondence and arranging the appointments etc.

Lucian Maftei speaks English, but it is always good to have a native speaker at your side, when you enter a "new" market. You can ask him: [email protected]

Ok so my memory is shot. I thought he was around $1,200.00 for some reason. Either way the shoes he posted here looked amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics