• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are there any reasonable bespoke shoemakers?

Chow Chow

Reaction score
Surprising as it may seem, Istanbul was/is known for having a number of quality bespoke shoemakers, though from what I recall from passing their windows, their styling would probably not be up to the highest standards. I believe there is at least one poster on this forum based in Istanbul, and whether he can provide any information.

palladio211

Reaction score
I'm skeptical of ordering anything custom unless you're at the source or the source comes to you (i.e. a regular employee of the company). I've had bad results ordering custom items from measurements taken by a local representative. In the case of Dehner boots, I ended up with a $1000 pair that didn't fit and no one wanted to take back. The next time around I was sure to be fitted for Vogel's by Mr. Vogel himself, with excellent results.

One can easily end up in a situation where there is a middleman and everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else. If the guy who makes them or owns the company does your fittings, it's pretty tough for them to let you leave the shop with anything less than a perfect fit. This goes for everything from shoes, to boots, to saddles.

I think if I was going to go the European route (Italy, Budapest, whatever), I would only do so if I had time to travel there to be fitted in the shop.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might want to consider Jan Kielman in Warsaw, a company founded in 1883 and still run by the same family.

They are accepting orders and measurements via the internet. (I do not know, if this is a good idea and if it works.)
http://www.kielman.pl/en/zamowienia/

Their starting price is FLN 1900 = USD 850 or EUR 550.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was the european shoe maker that posted here 6 months back about certified hides? I can't recall who he was but his were bespoke I think and I thought they were "reasonable". They looked sharp with elephant or something close. Any ideas?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Who was the european shoe maker that posted here 6 months back about certified hides?
That was Jan Myhre from Oslo, a wonderful shoemaker
(judging by the pictures, never seen in real life).

http://www.bespoke-shoes.com/

But......Norway is about the most expensive country in Europe.
Although, I do not know Myhre's prices, they won't be bargain basement.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

They were very high as I recall, higher than London, and though not quite Lobb Paris, at least as much as Gomez.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was Jan Myhre from Oslo, a wonderful shoemaker
(judging by the pictures, never seen in real life).

http://www.bespoke-shoes.com/

I really loved the workmanship and thought he had something of that mad scientist crazy genius wunderkind feel about him. In a good way.

I believe "Timeless Rider" got a pair and could comment some more.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

From USD 2.800 and up.

A Canuker, ask the.chikor, he can give you a detailed information.

To palladio211:

As I understand the business model of Maftei for the US. Mr. Hansen is responsible for the correspondence and arranging the appointments etc.

Lucian Maftei speaks English, but it is always good to have a native speaker at your side, when you enter a "new" market. You can ask him: [email protected]

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
From USD 2.800 and up.

A Canuker, ask the.chikor, he can give you a detailed information.

To palladio211:

As I understand the business model of Maftei for the US. Mr. Hansen is responsible for the correspondence and arranging the appointments etc.

Lucian Maftei speaks English, but it is always good to have a native speaker at your side, when you enter a "new" market. You can ask him: [email protected]

Ok so my memory is shot. I thought he was around $1,200.00 for some reason. Either way the shoes he posted here looked amazing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.