• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any products out there that make your hair look dirty?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you want something like brylcreem.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk

+1, seriously. Apply very sparingly until you've reached the desired level of greasyness. Forget the couture hair products, none of them compare to the old school stuff. Get the special degreasing shampoo next to it on the shelf too.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
+1, seriously. Apply very sparingly until you've reached the desired level of greasyness. Forget the couture hair products, none of them compare to the old school stuff. Get the special degreasing shampoo next to it on the shelf too.

Sorry, I've got to strongly disagree with the Brylcreem rec. I don't believe the OP is going for a shiny, wet look to his hair. That's what Brylcreem will give him. If you want a matte finish with no gloss, go with Fiber.

Brylcreem is too oily. Dirt is too weak. And gel products will leave the hair too brittle and spiky. I think Fiber is the best compromise between the hold of a gel and the softness of something like Dirt.

I definitely agree with the "apply sparingly" advice, however, and I extend that advice to any hair product. Less is more. The goal is to look good but retain some appreciable degree of naturalness and movement to your hair. Your hair needs to pass the women's hand test: i.e., if a woman runs her hands through your hair, she shouldn't be grossed out by the results.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I forgot to add: once you've applied enough Brylcreem, run a towel through your hair. This will matte it and tone down the shine, all while picking up lint from the towel. Dirty.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

infurmia

Reaction score
I like aveda men's grooming clay for that kind of look. Play around with different clay/fiber styling products. I'd recommend trying a few testers from nearby stores until you find something that works. I spent a fair bit on products that only got used a few times until I was able to find something that I like. aveda: http://www.amazon.com/Aveda-Pure-for...9624743&sr=1-1

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive Oil. A few drops. rub into hands. rub hands through hair.
It's also virtually free, safe, gentle and washes out easily.
It can also be used as a skin moisturizer if used sparingly.

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
I use Garnier Fructis Surf Hair Texture Paste for this...because it has a matte finish, and is not shiny.

From Amazon.com, where you can buy it: "Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texture Paste creates wind swept textured hairstyles with a long lasting hold. A new generation styling product that provides definition and volume to hair with a flexible hold and a non-gloss, matte finish. Get a tousled, messy look with high definition - just like when you spend a day at the beach - all your round. It's unique mattifying agents that texture and define hair without greasiness or residue."

RyanM

Reaction score
There's this L'oreal stuff that I use that does exactly what you are looking for; it's awesome. I'll check later for what it's called.

word

Reaction score
So you want your hair to look like you washed it yesterday? Then don't wash it today. Duh.

Ok really. Wash your hair at night before going to bed. By the time you wake up it will be at least a little oily. Use some product before you run out the door to style it. If it's really bad then take a brief shower and soak your hair but don't wash it.

If your scalp produces too much oil during the 5-8hrs of sleep you got then you need to stop shampooing so damn much. It makes your scalp over produce oil because you're removing it every time you shampoo.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Washing your hair everyday is not very good and yes, it looks better the day you haven't washed it. Try skipping a day out of two.

RyanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanM
There's this L'oreal stuff that I use that does exactly what you are looking for; it's awesome. I'll check later for what it's called.

Ok it says L'Oreal Dirty Clean - Day after effect, layered look

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads