• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any ghetto ways to make a pair of dress shoes last longer?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the bottoms of the shoes. I am concerned about the parts circled in red, which is pretty much the thinnest parts of the shoes and will eventually wear through, right? Is there anything I can buy from the hardware store and use a paint roller to roll it on the bottom of the shoes to make them last longer. Maybe a hard rubber or liquid plastic coating? I don't want to spend much either, the shoes were $30 from Aldo.
057yyk

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest it, but this cheap bastard I work with cut up some old rubber car floor mats and gorilla glued them to the soles of his shoes. This guy's a tool though. His other claim to fame was he rummaged through the dumpsters and gathered up all the old track balls from outdated mice when the entire company got optical mice. He was using the balls as ammunition for his sling shot. Seriously! I'm not ******** you. Ammo. For his sling shot...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

red dragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
I wouldn't suggest it, but this cheap bastard I work with cut up some old rubber car floor mats and gorilla glued them to the soles of his shoes. This guy's a tool though. His other claim to fame was he rummaged through the dumpsters and gathered up all the old track balls from outdated mice when the entire company got optical mice. He was using the balls as ammunition for his sling shot. Seriously! I'm not ******** you. Ammo. For his sling shot...

Off topic, but this is awesome. This man is a dying breed.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghetto?

Bubble gum. Lots of it. The cheap kind.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
I don't know how "ghetto" it is, but there are things called sole savers. Typically can be purchased from Target, Walmart, or Supermarket for less than a can of polyurethane. But, if you are dead set on some ghettorific engineering, I don't see why several coats of a polyurethane protectant/sealant shouldn't provide a modicum of life to the sole. However, it might also make the bottom of shoe very slick with time. If you do go this route (and let me just make it clear: it's a bad idea. the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason), clean the shoe soles well, apply several coats with a paint brush, allowing it to dry before applying the next coat. I also feel that I should that adding a sealant to your shoe could easily ruin your shoe. You cannot undo it, as the polymer will absorb throughout the leather.

red dragon

Reaction score
plasticbagshoes.jpg

I use this method for my AE seconds - only way to stay crispy...

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like you're very close to wearing out the edge of the heels anyway, so they're coming to the end of their lifespan.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
It looks to me like you're very close to wearing out the edge of the heels anyway, so they're coming to the end of their lifespan.
I was planning to wear the heels all the way up to the insole, like a pair of sneakers. Why would the shoes be near the end of their life if the heels are slightly worn?

haiguise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by red dragon
plasticbagshoes.jpg

I use this method for my AE seconds - only way to stay crispy...

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Amputate your feet. Your shoes will probably last a bit longer that way.

lol8[1].gif

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask how long you wore them for and at what frequency?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
I was planning to wear the heels all the way up to the insole, like a pair of sneakers. Why would the shoes be near the end of their life if the heels are slightly worn?

Options:

1. Put a pair of heels on them and be done with it.
2. Wear them the way you intended. When you get to the repair shop expect to pay 2x's plus for a new top lift and base. Be aware however, if you wear them to the point you stated, most cobblers will whack off the base and replace the heel with one that is solid rubber. Expect it to look like crap.

changy

Reaction score
Find another SFer and go "****** drop em vass before i bust yo ass" works better if you have a gun.

ambien walrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Options:

1. Put a pair of heels on them and be done with it.
2. Wear them the way you intended. When you get to the repair shop expect to pay 2x's plus for a new top lift and base. Be aware however, if you wear them to the point you stated, most cobblers will whack off the base and replace the heel with one that is solid rubber. Expect it to look like crap.

Why not just say, "hey, don't replace it with a rubber heel"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics