• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any Chuck Taylors still made in America?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt it. Converse is owned by Nike and it was my understanding that Nike does 100% of its manufacture outside of the US these days. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Your only option is to buy from one of those companies that resell old "Made in USA" stock Converse for insanely high prices. I've seen some that have brand new ones (still in box) for sale.

However, I have also seen "Made in Japan" ones that are higher quality than anything Converse has ever made. They look about about 95% the same as the actual Converse ones-- most people would think they were just a "special edition" Chuck as opposed to a newer shoe that's largely a copy/clone. So if higher quality is what you're after (while still looking authentic), this is the route I'd peruse.

givemefive

Reaction score
I've been looking for black high tops on sale for ages. I refuse to pay $40+tax for a ************* shoe like the chuck taylor. The soles start peeling after only a few wears.

They are worth about $20 I think. Doesn't mean I don't want them. I just think 39.99 is steep.

SLAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by givemefive
I've been looking for black high tops on sale for ages. I refuse to pay $40+tax for a ************* shoe like the chuck taylor. The soles start peeling after only a few wears.

They are worth about $20 I think. Doesn't mean I don't want them. I just think 39.99 is steep.

ha, in Belgium they usually retail for 60 euro!

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been making them overseas for awhile now; mine were made in Vietnam. Their prices are bit steep for something so generic and shoddily made.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
They've been making them overseas for awhile now; mine were made in Vietnam. Their prices are bit steep for something so generic and shoddily made.

At the same time, if you like them, it's hard to justify an alternative. I've been hankering for a new pair for a while now, and I think I'm just gonna have to give in and get them in the Nike-made overseas child-labor produced variety at the big downtown shoe store.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
last time I saw MIA chucks were back in 2002 or 3. we were at a rockabilly festival in Green Bay WI and there was a store in town that had tons of pairs of MIA chucks for $20 iirc and word spread quick thru the weekender and hordes of greasers went down to score a pair.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I still own a pair of MIA chucks. Purchased around 98. Of course, they're shot to hell, so I can only wear them when the weather's good.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Even the Varvatos line is made in Vietnam.

I sympathize with the guy in Europe who pays 60 EUR, I remember them being 40-50 UKP when I lived in the UK. Crazy for what's essentially disposable footwear.

New Balance is, according to their website, "the only athletic shoe manufacturer still making shoes in the US" and even then they admit only 25% are fully made here (the others marked "Made in USA" are 70% or more made on-shore). Ugly shoes, though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As an old guy, I remember buying them for like 12 bucks in the 70s! That was the great thing about them. You could beat the hell out of them b/c it was nothing to pick up another pair.

gwydion

Reaction score
While on somewhat topic, what about PF Flyers? I read on Wiki that New Balance still produces most of their products MIA and that they own PF Flyers. So are they most likely MIA as well?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwydion
While on somewhat topic, what about PF Flyers? I read on Wiki that New Balance still produces most of their products MIA and that they own PF Flyers. So are they most likely MIA as well?

I don't think they are.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwydion

New Balance does own PF Flyers.. NB produces a line, their Tier Zero line, in the UK.
They also have a line which they release twice a year which is made outside Boston, but the shoes are $250 and up.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Unrelated to OP or other discussions here: I wear Chucks and Flyers, just picked up a pair of HUF X Nike SB's which are similar style... SB's are generally constructed miles beyond other Nikes. http://hypebeast.com/2009/10/huf-nik...el-collection/ These are way more comfortable then Flyers and Chucks too.. Flyers > Chucks in terms of comfort and quality these day IMO, huge difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads