• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any canali experts?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Why is Canali suits cheaper than Zegna and Armani Colleczioni?

2. What is the quality of Canali fabric like? s100 s120 s150?

3. Compared Zegna Mu Sisura .. how does Canali MTM stack up?

4. Canali seemed to come with stich patterns on lapel, end of sleeves and pocket flat, is there option where can get Canali suit with out those patterns?

Thanks.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali is cheaper than Zegna and Armani because both of those are overpriced, while Canali is a good value. Canali Exclusive is in fabrics every bit as good as Zegna -- even better IMO; I think Zegna fabrics are overrated -- and it contains far more handwork. Armani is just a joke -- just ignore it.

The problem with Canali is that it is difficult to find them at deep discounts -- sure, you can find their sportcoats and the like at Off Fifth for very inexpesnive, but I rarely see Canalis for less than $600 - $700, while you can find Corneliani for $400 - 500 all the time. True, Corneliani isn't Canali by any measure IMO, but still.

I've seen lots of Canalis without picking at the lapels -- but IMO the picking is a great detail that you will come to appreciate if you have it.

In terms of fabric, I think that once you get to s150, Canali's fabrics are a little delicate for my tastes. But their s120s are like butter from what I've seen -- really soft with great drape. Their cashmere blends are luxurious.

I've never seen Zegna Su Misura in person, so I can't comment. But Su Misura is, from what I've been told by others here, is normally just regular Zegna made to measure. If that is the case, I like Canali better -- though I'm not a huge fan of Canali's cuts (though I recently tried one on that had significantly less shoulder padding than others I've seen). Be aware that Canali Proposta is a totally different animal -- I've seen fused Proposta stuff.

itzamazing

Reaction score
The problem with Canali is that it is difficult to find them at deep discounts.
Bloomingdale's carries Canali suits and they do go on deep discount (as with most items there). Typically, if you catch the sales at a good time, the suits would be marked 40% to 50% off, then Bloomies runs 20% off coupons on top of that.

They also carry Canali shoes and always have a good, albeit limited sales rack. They are usually in the $100 range on sale and retail upwards over $300.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True about Bloomies, as I can attest (Canali Exclusive for $285). But I always find it difficult to get my size and color choice at those super sale times.

FCS

Reaction score
The Canali Proposta doesn't have picked stitching on the lapel. I've never seen one that is fused, though; the quality is about the same with regular Canali's.

Canali Exclusive differs from the regular line only in term of the fabrics - cashmere, super 180s and up, etc. I don't see significant handworks that set them apart from the regular Canali.

Zegna is a bit overpriced above Canali, but I don't think by much. But you should know that Armani, on the other hand...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali is cheaper than Zegna and Armani because both of those are overpriced, while Canali is a good value.  Canali Exclusive is in fabrics every bit as good as Zegna -- even better IMO; I think Zegna fabrics are overrated -- and it contains far more handwork.  Armani is just a joke -- just ignore it.  

The problem with Canali is that it is difficult to find them at deep discounts -- sure, you can find their sportcoats and the like at Off Fifth for very inexpesnive, but I rarely see Canalis for less than $600 - $700, while you can find Corneliani for $400 - 500 all the time.  True, Corneliani isn't Canali by any measure IMO, but still.

I've seen lots of Canalis without picking at the lapels -- but IMO the picking is a great detail that you will come to appreciate if you have it.  

In terms of fabric, I think that once you get to s150, Canali's fabrics are a little delicate for my tastes.  But their s120s are like butter from what I've seen -- really soft with great drape.  Their cashmere blends are luxurious.

I've never seen Zegna Su Misura in person, so I can't comment.  But Su Misura is, from what I've been told by others here, is normally just regular Zegna made to measure.  If that is the case, I like Canali better -- though I'm not a huge fan of Canali's cuts (though I recently tried one on that had significantly less shoulder padding than others I've seen).  Be aware that Canali Proposta is a totally different animal -- I've seen fused Proposta stuff.
I've often felt that Canali offers the most bang for the buck, I found a tailor in nyc who gets very nice Canali suits at a deep discount. The styling isn't to my taste, but the handwork is quite good and fabrics (especially the 120's) are nice.

koji

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as its the cavassed Belvest -- there were rumors here that some of those Ebay Belvest (blue label) were fused -- then the Belvest IMO blows Canali away.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Belvest suits I've had experience with (they make suits for Hermes) are almost on par with Brioni, imo.

koji

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali is GREAT to me... quality and a cut that fits me well (broad shoulders, little padding, somewhat suppresed waist). It's a shame that my favorite suit/sportcoat maker is VERY hard to find at discount in a 48R. Heck pretty much anything is
sad.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
I think you're good, FCS. Is that pic from the auction or is that your pic? If the latter, can't you tell whether it's fused or not simply via the pinch test? In any event, the purportedly fused Belvests (only a rumor by the way) had bright blue square (not rectangle) labels on the inside of the jacket. Very inelegant looking labels I might add. You got that thing for $365? You better not be a 38R.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked up that auction. That is definitely a beauty -- if that is fused, I'm going to start buying Belvest fused exclusively. GREAT buy. I love Belvest's cut -- beautiful.

mano

Reaction score
johnnynorman3

If you're a size 38, I have a Canali DB suit in wool/silk brand new, and an Isaia cashmere sport coat NWT that I was going to put on eBay in a few weeks after I get back from vacation.  Also have a bunch of ties (Charvet, Turnbull, RLPL, Oxxford, etc.). Might have some other stuff in your size, such as new Tiger Woods golf shirts in S, size 32 waist Cornelliani black pants. Might even have more clothing.  

LMK if you're interested.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
True, Corneliani isn't Canali by any measure IMO, but still.

What do you mean?? I like the canvased Corneliani suits better than Canali personally. Quality seems to be about the same, and Corneliani cuts a better suit IMO.

Of course, while we are on the subject, I'll say that Cantarelli is by far the best at this price range. Those new suits at Bergdorf (slim cut, canvased, about $950) are pretty nice too, I wish I could remember the name...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads