Are the Founding Fathers biographies good?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'm referring to the popular ones...Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton, Isaacson's Ben Frankilin: An American Life, Ellis' American Sphinx, His Excellency by whoever-it-is. Obviously they're not all the same but are any of them not worth reading?

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Thumbs up on Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Isaacson.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

How many of the books you've read have you read?

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I'm not really into biography, but Ellis is definitely worth a read. He make an effort at some revealing and critical analysis of Jefferson. It's not just rehash a tired subject, or worse, uncritical glorification the subject. And the guy can write. Delicious and crisp prose that makes for a very fast read.

5. bimmernate

bimmernate Senior member

my stepdad reads these books all the time he is a history buff and from what i hear yes they are good he keeps trying to get me to read them

6. poelow

poelow Senior member

the Founding Brothers by Ellis is a nice place to start(pulitzer prize winner), giving a general overview of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton, Franklin and Burr and their relationships and contributions. It's a relatively short book but effective as it "ties it all together". I'm reading it right now, and plan on moving to Ellis's biographies on Washington and Jefferson eventually.

7. G. Mann

G. Mann Active Member

the Founding Brothers by Ellis is a nice place to start(pulitzer prize winner), giving a general overview of Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton, Franklin and Burr and their relationships and contributions. It's a relatively short book but effective as it "ties it all together". I'm reading it right now, and plan on moving to Ellis's biographies on Washington and Jefferson eventually.

+1 on this... good book, and Ellis is generally excellent. For Washington, take a peek at Flexner's The Indispensable Man.

Cheers,
    G