• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the dark grey or light grey Allbirds wool runners more versatile?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is that Allbirds are hardly "quirky." Allbirds are like...a basic as hell dtc brand that everyone and their friend under 35 has probably tried at this point.

jwolfe890

Reaction score
The point is that Allbirds are hardly "quirky." Allbirds are like...a basic as hell dtc brand that everyone and their friend under 35 has probably tried at this point.

I am not interested in what you consider quirky or the fact that you would probably rather wear something less comfortable and more expensive because it fits arbitrarily defined fashion sensibilities.

Things I am interested in:

1. Which of the two colors of Allbirds shoe is more versatile and would match with more clothes?

2. Which of the two Allbirds shoes you dislike less?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not interested in what you consider quirky or the fact that you would probably rather wear something less comfortable and more expensive because it fits

yes but you brought quirky into the conversation.

in my mind, they are both equally versatile for whatever your needs maybe. They are both sneakers, and not very useful ones at that, so there’s really no distinction.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not interested in what you consider quirky or the fact that you would probably rather wear something less comfortable and more expensive because it fits arbitrarily defined fashion sensibilities.

Things I am interested in:

1. Which of the two colors of Allbirds shoe is more versatile and would match with more clothes?

2. Which of the two Allbirds shoes you dislike less?

Thank you.

What a loaded and assumption filled response. You brought up quirky and offbeat as descriptions. The point I was alluding to was the points already made that they are neither. They are a trend of the moment if anything.

To your questions I suppose, though since you assume I only wear where? Gucci or some crap? Not sure why you'd care.

1. No difference functionally.

2. I think they are both equally bland.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both are kind interchangeable if you ask me (though if force to I usually pick the darker version for versatile).

If you want pure comfort and don’t care about look i would go for allbird slip on, they’re comfortable and convenient but definitely not pretty

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one advantage to Allbirds is that they are are making much more of an effort than any other mainstream sneaker brand to be sustainable. I just wish they didn't look like ****.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with Allbirds is that they’re trying to cash in on the “athleisure” trend.

they look like a technical shoe but position themselves as a lifestyle brand. They’re made like ****. I know people who have owned them and they fall apart after a few months.

They’re not a serious running shoe. As for being worn casually, I’m not into the sneakers as casual wear but if I did do it, there are far better options.

So we’re left with a shoe that is neither fish nor foul. They’re not hip or trendy as young people moved on from it a while back, and it’s mostly now the Peter Millar set that seems to favor them.

jwolfe890

Reaction score
My problem with Allbirds is that they’re trying to cash in on the “athleisure” trend.

they look like a technical shoe but position themselves as a lifestyle brand. They’re made like ****. I know people who have owned them and they fall apart after a few months.

They’re not a serious running shoe. As for being worn casually, I’m not into the sneakers as casual wear but if I did do it, there are far better options.

So we’re left with a shoe that is neither fish nor foul. They’re not hip or trendy as young people moved on from it a while back, and it’s mostly now the Peter Millar set that seems to favor them.

To me these are a solid option for heavy walking or biking in oftentimes crummy weather (they're rain resistant), but also low key enough to be worn to work in an office environment. I'm sick of wearing Nikes, but buy them for cross training and running. The Adidas ultraboost seemed like an okay option, but they're expensive and to me equally as bland.

Do you know of better and equally comfortable casual shoes? I'm not sure if you do heavy walking in a city, but in my experience after about 15 minutes lost in the rain I couldn't care less how the shoe looks and its aesthetic becomes a detriment.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me these are a solid option for heavy walking or biking in oftentimes crummy weather (they're rain resistant), but also low key enough to be worn to work in an office environment. I'm sick of wearing Nikes, but buy them for cross training and running. The Adidas ultraboost seemed like an okay option, but they're expensive and to me equally as bland.

Do you know of better and equally comfortable casual shoes? I'm not sure if you do heavy walking in a city, but in my experience after about 15 minutes lost in the rain I couldn't care less how the shoe looks and its aesthetic becomes a detriment.

like I said, they are without distinction so just flip a coin.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think it's hard to talk about shoes as a standalone object like this because it depends on the look you're trying to create.

Prior to the pandemic, I walked two miles to work and then two miles back. I also sometimes walk about two miles to get lunch, and then two miles back. I don't know if that counts as heavy walking. But I wear all types of sneakers for walking -- Nike React 87s, Margiela German Army Trainer Replicas, Spalwart Marathon Lows, Victory Sportswear runners, Visvim Skagways, etc. I find them all to be comfortable for ~4 mile walks.
05-06-2018_nike_nikereactelement87_sail_lightbonewhiterushorange_aq1090-100_lm_1.jpeg
marathontraillowwbhswhite9703773000001-optimerad-2.jpeg
https___hypebeast.com_image_2017_10_jjjjound-victory-sportswear-trail-runner-2017-restock-1.jpg
nF6cNIS.jpeg
https___hypebeast.com_image_2017_04_visvim-skagway-hi-suede-bamboo-0.jpg

But these shoes go into specific outfits, and those outfits may not suit your personality or lifestyle. The retro-styled runners above (e.g. Spalwarts) go with things like jeans and Sierra Designs mountain parkas. I wear the Nike React 87s with shorts. The German Army Trainers mostly get worn with a vintage Lees 101J.

I mostly don't like Allbirds because of how they look, and how they get worn with what I consider to be a kind of bland uniform. I've never tried them on, so I can't speak on comfort. But I think I walk a decent amount and I find many other sneakers comfortable.

I think you mentioned you have things like Stan Smiths. I don't find those to be comfortable on long walks. But many other sneakers have a lot more cushioning.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say they’re comfortable (the slip on) for sure but I had walked 20 miles a day in my unlined chukka too so my tolerance is pretty high I suppose...

I don’t feel they’re better than my actual running shoes though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads