• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are surgeon cuffs on a blazer (ie w/ metal buttons) a fashion faux pas?

buddha123

Reaction score
^
Friend and I were arguing over whether or not it is...he is more of "fashiony" dresser. He bought a costume national blazer (navy blue) with a whole bunch of details, one of which was working buttons. And I mentioned that it looked stupid to have the last button unbuttoned, and especially with a blazer since it was a fashion faux pas.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is wingtip too casual for a job interview?

Let's discuss.
confused.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The presence of surgeon cuffs is never a faux pas, unless they prevent altering the sleeves to the correct length.

Leaving them unbuttoned, on the other hand, is open to debate...

buddha123

Reaction score
^
yes, but surgeon cuffs originate from needing to roll the sleeves up. And metal buttons with (faux) heraldic crests were more common with people who weren't working professionals.

Hence why I thought the two didn't go well together.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buddha123
He bought a costume national blazer (navy blue) with a whole bunch of details, one of which was working buttons.

C'N'C, then? Mainline clothes are usually pretty restrained, but then again we don't know what you mean by details or "whole bunch".

Matt S

Reaction score
They are buttons after all. It makes more sense that they would function.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buddha123
^
yes, but surgeon cuffs originate from needing to roll the sleeves up. And metal buttons with (faux) heraldic crests were more common with people who weren't working professionals.

Hence why I thought the two didn't go well together.

It appears that Manton was only the 122nd reincarnation of the Buddha. Send this one back - it needs seasoning.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
This is how I feel about them. If there are buttons on a sleeve, then make them functional.

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The presence of surgeon cuffs is never a faux pas, unless they prevent altering the sleeves to the correct length.

+1

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

Leaving them unbuttoned, on the other hand, is open to debate...

It's a faux pas if you had the buttons opened after the coat was made. Save the $80.

Originally Posted by Matt S

Blazer buttons are uniform and ornamental. No surgeon ever wore one. And it looks terrible, from my pre-SF experience.

BerryWall

Reaction score
Blazer buttons are uniform and ornamental. No surgeon ever wore one. And it looks terrible, from my pre-SF experience.[/quote]

I disagree. Hunt buttons on hunting coats are often set in functional buttonholes on bespoke and non-bespoke jackets alike (in England, at any rate.)
I collect antique livery, club, hunt and military buttons, most from the nineteenth century. Because the have a substantial loop on their reverse they do not look so well sewn onto sleeves directly. They will dangle and flop about. With functional buttonholes they should sit more flush to the sleeve fabric. If the fabric is thin, a second set of holes may have to be sewn into the bottom sleeve surface so that the button will sit properly.
The finest set I have ever seen in use was an eighteenth-century silver hand-engraved set depicting favorite horses (with names), dogs ( ditto). and scenes from stages of the hunt. Six coat and eight sleeve. VERY rare and on a quite nice bespoke navy blazer. The buttons were probably a gift the the owner's father, who at one time had one of the finest fine and decorative art collections in the country.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I've learned something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads