• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are striped dress shirts history? Is this several year old shirt still OK to wear?

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
17058__the_matador_l.jpg

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt is fine. It's how you wear it that counts. As casual weekend or evening shirt, it works well. I see a lot of these types of shirts downtown on Friday/Saturday night. Pair it with medium to dark wash jeans and brown or walnut dress shoes or boots. Wear it in the spring and summer.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As casual wear, I suppose it might be acceptable. I wouldn't wear it with a suit or a jacket, but that's not because "it's history," since neither would I have worn it with a suit or a jacket 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago. (Maybe 40 years ago. I mean, it's not as bad as something Greg Brady might have worn, and had his sister Marcia call "groovy." But that's damning it with faint praise.)

I say this as someone who wore a striped shirt (white, with a fine red stripe) today, with a suit. So don't go to thinking that I have any fundamental antipathy toward wearing striped shirts with suits. It's just that not all striped shirts are created equal.
--
Michael

grayscalefade

Reaction score
I'm gonna clean / press it and just see how it looks. I'll post a pic. If I feel like I fell into a time machine or feel at all self-conscious, it's gonna go in the donate pile.

Thanks all! I love the feedback here.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the shirt. Nothing wrong with striped shirts. Keep it and wear it if you still like it.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may help you decide.

The first line just made me crack-up.
Look at my button down striped shirt! ******* look at it! This shirt means one thing! I’m coming home with some ***** tonight! :rotflmao:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Striped dress shirts are not history. Although, that particular shirt was history -- the kind that should never be recorded -- at the time it was made.

Last edited:

sborg

Reaction score
Well if you really like it then keep it, otherwise toss it.
6241.gif

You rarely see men in business suits wear striped shirts nowadays, but it doesn't mean its history. But if you really like it, then use it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You rarely see men in business suits wear striped shirts nowadays

Well this is just completely untrue. Obviously you don't wear a shirt like the OP's with a business suit, but plenty of people wear striped shirts in general...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You rarely see men in business suits wear striped shirts nowadays...
This comment does not hold true in the cities where I spend time. Montreal is, perhaps, an exception to what I see.

Last edited:

emc894

Reaction score
Bengal stripes are pretty damn common in business.

That shirt is heinous. I would definitely donate it.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what some people on this thread are thinking. If there were an encyclopedia entry for "dated mid-2000 shirt" that would be the picture. I thought you pulled it from an Onion article. Congrats on the weight loss, but save up for some modern fitted shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads