1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are stainless appliances becoming passe?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by makushin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SField

SField Senior member

To answer the original OP, yes there was a peak for professional cooking gear chic in the home kitchen and I believe that peak has passed. Everyone, not just sfield, is tired of the stupid internet-geek newlyweds who put the 16-piece All-Clad set on their registry and can barely fry an egg.

The new trend is matching (not complete, but somewhat) with the rest of your cabinetry. IE it looks like a cabinet but oh wow, it's a dishwasher.

Yes except that probably wont work with appliances, and I've seen that in other homes. I think that along with the garish 50s colors will be big. We already see it on ads for LG and Electrolux appliances. You can probably thank Rachel Ray for this, in some part.

Part of the reason that the pro kitchen isn't going to die as fast as you think it will is because of the Food Network and the fame of mediocre chefs. People don't watch cooking shows anymore for only people like Pepin, Ming Tsai, and Bourdain... now it's really hip and cool to be into food, and along with home reno, it's something which took off over 10 years ago and is going strong, and probably will for a while still. SS may not be big for appliances, but I can guarantee you that people will still keep registering 16 piece cooking gear and like 12 piece knife block sets without being able to make more than toast.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

then I take it you've never been inside a professional kitchen, or any kitchen in a fine home from the last 50-60 years?
    Oh, believe me, I have. Stainless in pro kitchens have always been common, in "fine homes", not so much.

3. SField

SField Senior member

Oh, believe me, I have. Stainless in pro kitchens have always been common, in "fine homes", not so much.

What? Are you insane? Have you ever been in an English manor house, or especially a great french chateau? Have you ever been to Greenwich CT or Westchester NY? I'm guessing not, unless whatever passes for fine homes and estates in Norway is different than in these locations. Restauarant type equipment is so common in these types of homes that I really question if we're talking about the same things.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

All that non-structural use of carbon fibre (watch dials!) will look horribly dated in a very few years.

Again, what is wrong with the classic white enamel-paint?

I like white too. It's a matter of aesthetic taste more than anything else and I don't really care what the people living in SField Châteaux had. With that being said, I doubt you'd be making a big mistake when buying stainless, I just don't like it in most settings.

5. Lucky Strike

What? Are you insane? Have you ever been in an English manor house, or especially a great french chateau?
    Yes, many, although you don't normally see much of the kitchens in the really big houses. As many of them are converted to hotels or at least can be rented for weddings etc., I expect those have large industrial kitchens. Smaller country houses will typically have old (or new) Aga cookers and all things belonging to the "country" style, authentic or faked/reconstructed. Kitchens are impractical and old-fashioned, and wilfully so. I've seen twenty-bedroom 18th century houses with no dishwasher. With a very few exceptions, no stainless steel, very few modern or hi-tech appliances.
    Have you ever been to Greenwich CT or Westchester NY?
    No. As far as I know, these would be modern houses to a great extent.

6. SField

SField Senior member

Yes, many, although you don't normally see much of the kitchens in the really big houses. As many of them are converted to hotels or at least can be rented for weddings etc., I expect they have large industrial kitchens.

Smaller country houses will typically have old (or new) Aga cookers and all things belonging to the "country" style, authentic or faked/reconstructed. Kitchens are impractical and old-fashioned, and wilfully so.

With a very few exceptions, no stainless steel, very few modern or hi-tech appliances.

No. As far as I know, these would be modern houses to a great extent.

Well as you know from what I posted earlier, you will indeed not see the kitchen in the older estates. Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.

There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones. I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will. As I think most people will agree, when I think of white appliances, I think of cheap apartment buildings and student tenaments, or eastern europe.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Well as you know from what I posted earlier, you will indeed not see the kitchen in the older estates. Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.

There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones. I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will. As I think most people will agree, when I think of white appliances, I think of cheap apartment buildings and student tenaments, or eastern europe.

Do you like the look of white appliances?

8. SField

SField Senior member

I like white too. It's a matter of aesthetic taste more than anything else and I don't really care what the people living in SField Châteaux had. With that being said, I doubt you'd be making a big mistake when buying stainless, I just don't like it in most settings.

I brought that up because he said that SS is dated, when in fact it's been around for a very long time and will continue to be, especially with people who actually cook or in the less likely category, but equally as unlikely to have something that is dated, people who have other people cooking for them.

9. SField

SField Senior member

Do you like the look of white appliances?

Only a little less than black ones.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ...I've never seen white in any of them and I don't think you ever will...
    How big a data set we talkin' here SF?
    Two?
    Twelve?
    Two hundred?

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Only a little less than black ones.

I hate blacks! Oh wait, wrong part of the forum.

Honestly I'd agree that you can't really go wrong with stainless, if that's all the OP wanted to know.

12. SField

SField Senior member

How big a data set we talkin' here SF?
    Two?
    Twelve?
    Two hundred?

More than I can count, (and two hundred is almost as high as I can count).

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    More than I can count, (and two hundred is almost as high as I can count).
    What're you doing in these 200+ estates?
    Delivering stuff?
    Painting?
    ?

14. SField

SField Senior member

I hate blacks! Oh wait, wrong part of the forum.

Honestly I'd agree that you can't really go wrong with stainless, if that's all the OP wanted to know.

Exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Viking/Wolf/whatever else range and stove, Sub-zero and whatever else. That will never look dated, because it's been around for fucking forever. I've seen high end white and it just make the kitchen look like a giant ipod.

15. SField

SField Senior member

What're you doing in these 200+ estates?
    Delivering stuff?
    Painting?
    ?

My mother is a prominent real estate agent who has done a lot of work with Sotheby's and related auction houses. As a result, I've lived in, and have frequently been to parties of her friends/clients with the kind of houses that we're discussing. This includes many locations in France, the UK, and like I said, those two locations in the US in particular. Being that I was so into cooking, I always checked out the kitchen.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Viking/Wolf/whatever else range and stove, Sub-zero and whatever else. That will never look dated, because it's been around for fucking forever. I've seen high end white and it just make the kitchen look like a giant ipod.

I happen to think Ipods (and high end white appliances in general) are visually appealing. Yeah, lots of people like 'em, I don't care. I also think Braun has good designs so I guess I'm not afraid to mingle with the multitude from time to time.

As long as some two-bit moron doesn't want to destroy the estate and build an ugly McMansion in it's place I'm sure we can find room to disagree.

17. SField

SField Senior member

I happen to think Ipods (and high end white appliances in general) are visually appealing. Yeah, lots of people like 'em, I don't care. I also think Braun has good designs so I guess I'm not afraid to mingle with the multitude from time to time.

As long as some two-bit moron doesn't want to destroy the estate and build an ugly McMansion in it's place I'm sure we can find room to disagree.

Look, I don't really care, nor do I think you are Lucky Strike cares a lot about this topic. I am not going to judge someone based on the color of their appliances. I just too exception to the idea that stainless steel dates a place, which in many contexts it doesn't. Sure if it's the cheap stuff, then I agree, but pro grade stuff always will and always has come in SS. It's functional and to me it just makes a lot of sense.

I do remember when every gadget and TV was being made in SS plastic look-a-like. For a while in the 90s, everything was metallic looking. Then came the Ipod which made glossy white really cool, and shortly thereafter glossy black plastic became cool too. Do I think imitation SS dates something? Yes. But in a kitchen, it's like the most natural and logical thing you can do, but that's comming from someone who cooks a lot and has spent time in pro kitchens.

18. Lucky Strike

There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones.
    No.
    There are many old homes in the United States and as you know, many expensive ones.
    Yes.
    I brought that up because he said that SS is dated, when in fact it's been around for a very long time and will continue to be, especially with people who actually cook or in the less likely category, but equally as unlikely to have something that is dated, people who have other people cooking for them.
    If people have other people cooking for them, they rarely give a flying fuck about what the colour scheme of the kitchen is.
    My mother is a prominent real estate agent who has done a lot of work with Sotheby's and related auction houses.
    Again, I really don't know what kind of experiences you've had, but SS in big homes with people who often cater is so unbelievably common that I really have to wonder what you've seen.
    I appraise antiques for a "related" auction house.

19. SField

SField Senior member

I appraise antiques for a "related" auction house.

And I'm sure the market for those things in Norway is just massive.

20. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

What? Are you insane? Have you ever been in an English manor house, or especially a great french chateau? Have you ever been to Greenwich CT or Westchester NY? I'm guessing not, unless whatever passes for fine homes and estates in Norway is different than in these locations. Restauarant type equipment is so common in these types of homes that I really question if we're talking about the same things.

The few I've seen had kitchens about the size of a deck of cards and appliances that probably pre-date the patenting of stainless.