• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are snow/ice sports the domain of the well-off?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
snowboarding seems to be the domain of rich white kids who can afford to spend most of their time in the mountains instead of getting an education or working.

much like F1, you wont ever get to an 'elite' level in mountain sports without your parents spending alot of money and giving you alot of opportunity while you growup.

G. Mann

Reaction score
I imagine there are a fair number of middle class skiers who would be shocked by a bunch of guys wearing $400 shoes... the kid who delivers my pizzas drives a BMW.
confused.gif

It's all all about priorities.

Cheers,
G

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
How many luge/bobsled tracks are there in the US?

Three tracks: Lake Placid, NY, Park City, UT, and Muskegon, MI
Not a whole lot of opportunity to learn the sport.

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
snowboarding seems to be the domain of rich white kids who can afford to spend most of their time in the mountains instead of getting an education or working.

much like F1, you wont ever get to an 'elite' level in mountain sports without your parents spending alot of money and giving you alot of opportunity while you growup.

I'd disagree respectfully, and say the snowboarders are more likely to be slackers and stoners. And if that is true (I'm speculating), I'd guess the fact explains part of the appeal of the X-Games sort of sports as opposed to the more traditional Olympic winter games.

As to your F1 analogy, yes, I'd wholeheartedly agree in all except the forementioned board sports.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, winter sports are mostly bankrupting parents 0r the arena of the rich pricks. summer olympics has cheap-ass sports like wrestling, running and weight lifting travel bball is 900 a year, travel hockey costs my buddy 5k
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
My best friend has three kids playing hockey this year. It is costing him thousands...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

I'd disagree respectfully, and say the snowboarders are more likely to be slackers and stoners. And if that is true (I'm speculating)

slackers and stoners, and born of rich parents

skateboarding is possibly poor-friendly. snowboarding is not

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
slackers and stoners, and born of rich parents ....snowboarding is not
Bullshit. On both accounts. I'm not even going to address the first, 'cause it's too stupid a comment to warrant further response. But the second is a misconception that could easily be had by someone who has little exposure to snowsports. So, here ya go: -End-of-season sales are the best time to buy new equipment. If you shop around, you can expect to find some things marked down at least 50%. -Used gear in good shape can be had on Craigslist for little more than a song. Start looking a month or so after the season ends. If you're patient and persistent, you can assemble a full set of equipment for a few hundred dollars. -Mid-week, and nighttime lift tickets are a lot cheaper than unrestricted ones. Season passes are an even better investment -- if you intend to spend a lot of time on the slopes. I know of several mountains that offer student rates that are cheaper still. Stay away during holidays, peak hours, and weekends, and you'll save more than a few bucks. -Transportation costs can be mitigated by taking shuttle buses which are offered by many (most?) mountains; they're not as convenient or comfortable as driving yourself, but they are cheaper. -If you really want to get there on the cheap, hitchhike. Every time I head to a local mountain, it's inevitable there will be one or two ski bums trudging along the road looking for rides. As long as you are shaven and clean-cut, smile, and don't sit down whilst thumbing for a ride, you're likely to score a lift to the slopes. And male and a female together are practically guaranteed to get a ride with very little waiting. So, yeah; with all due respect, you're talking out your ass.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of the snowboarders and skiers here had a great time teaching during the season and so financing their hobby. its not a rich life, but they sure can work on their sport..

jase12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert

im living in whistler this season and working as a lifty earning $10 an hour. i work in finance back home and have plenty of friends here who are qualified lawyers, physiotherapists, teachers etc but have made a decision to get out of the rat race temporarily or permanently. you take a massive pay cut and work hard to do something you love. don't judge something because you have never done it.

as to the op, i think alpine winter sports are definitely more cost prohibitive to the majority of people, but that, like anything, it is still well in reach if someone is really interested in making it a hobby or elite pursuit

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good fried of mine pointed out how incredibly inaccessible the majority of the winter sports are to most of the world and cautions that its not really the 'best' athletes because of the huge financial hurdle to compete at this level. if you dont grow up 1) with money 2) somewhere where you have the ability to train (who has a luge track in their hometown?) how do you get involved. Vs. say the summer games, where anyone can run, every HS has a basketball team, etc...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
A good fried of mine pointed out how incredibly inaccessible the majority of the winter sports are to most of the world and cautions that its not really the 'best' athletes because of the huge financial hurdle to compete at this level. if you dont grow up 1) with money 2) somewhere where you have the ability to train (who has a luge track in their hometown?) how do you get involved. Vs. say the summer games, where anyone can run, every HS has a basketball team, etc...

no ****

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads