• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are sized self-tie bow ties still available?

SVS

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent self-tie bow tie for sized for my neck (which a little larger). Google keeps turning up pre-tied and adjustable. Does anyone still carry these?

As I recall, properly sized ties were much easier to tie than the adjustable. Am I remembering something that never existed?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see why they would be easier to tie. Once you set the adjuster (with the hook or the t-thing that goes in a slot) and get them through your collar, they should be about the same. In any case, I'm sure someone like Sam Hober would make you one if you asked.

Cordovan

Reaction score
I have used beautiesltd and have been pretty happy with them. I do not believe it makes any difference whatsover if your bow tie is sized to you or not unless you are wearing a proper wing collar and don't want the adjuster to show. I do believe though, that Beau Ties Ltd and Hanauer will make sized bow ties for you if you request.

Cordovan

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a lot of bowties, and all of mine are adjustable. I used to have a couple that were sized, but I didn't like them as much. The reason is because I purchased them without first trying them on, and the sizing was somewhat off (yes, my fault, I know). However, I don't see how adjustable vs. sized can affect the ease of tying it. You're trying the "front" of the tie, not the adjustable part. Just make sure you try on the sized one first, because different makers have different sizes of "wings" on the tie, and you want to make sure you don't end up looking like a clown with a giant, droopy bowtie that hangs over the sides of your collar.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't see why they would be easier to tie. Once you set the adjuster (with the hook or the t-thing that goes in a slot) and get them through your collar, they should be about the same. In any case, I'm sure someone like Sam Hober would make you one if you asked.
I don't think Sam Hober makes bowties . . . yet. He does have some prototypes in progress and he is planning to add bowties to his regular lineup.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David needs to worry about fulfilling last year's orders before he branches out into bowties. Much as I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of his bowties, I'm more eagerly awaiting last summer's necktie orders.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not seen them for sometime now, I would say there aren't that many in exsistince these days considering there aren't too many us that wear them anymore. I have a few that I have kept around since I do get a better finish out of them then I do with newer ties.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I kind of wish there were bowties that were self tie but could be taken apart at the back. I suck at tying them and when I have a good knot, I'd like to be able to loosen my collar temporarily and put it back together without spending another hour. Luckily I wear them about once a year or so.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I kind of wish there were bowties that were self tie but could be taken apart at the back. I suck at tying them and when I have a good knot, I'd like to be able to loosen my collar temporarily and put it back together without spending another hour. Luckily I wear them about once a year or so.

Charvet.
I can't stand it, but Jean-Claude Colban says they make their bowties with a hook and eye that lets you take the tie apart while keeping the knot in place, precisely because lazy slobs like you enjoy and demand this feature.

Cordovan

Reaction score
CN:

How do you order from them if not going to their store? Do they have a catalog?

Btw- it appears that some posters missed my comment before. I am fairly certain that Beau Ties Ltd and Hanauer will make bow ties to whatever specification you have for a fairly reasonable price too.

Cordovan

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They also take custom orders for bows, I recommend that you either mail or call them if you can't find anything local. Unfortunately they have no e-store
confused.gif

Cordovan

Reaction score
There store looks fantastic, I'd love to walk around it.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only bow ties I own are sized and they are done by Polo. Can't be more than a few seasons old.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayjay12