• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Single breasted peak lapels suits really SF approved?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
26,132
Reaction score
1,645
The subject has been debated before but it looks like the debate is evolving all the time toward a muted SF's acceptance...

Are they still a symbol of sartorial creativity and flair or a visual tailoring anachronism?

Popular in the thirties ,always in the background, are they like double-breasted suits making a comeback or is it just a fad...
 

Merlino

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
I like 'em a lot. They add a touch of flair to the standard SB suit. However, I view them as being too conspicuous to have on all my suits.
 

academe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
229
To me it's often dependent on the overall cut and styling of the suit or coat. For example, I very much like 3-piece suits with a SB coat with peak lapels and a double-breasted shawl lapel waistcoat (Anthony Eden-inspired)...A very classic & elegant look, in my opinion. I would have to see the styling of individual peak lapel coats to really make a judgement... Mahon's SB peak lapel coats with a hint of belly look very well-balanced and elegant, but other coats I have seen cut by others less so...
 

nioh

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
708
Reaction score
2
Given the history of discussions, I do not think they are SF approved per se. All though, in real life they are rather common and I fail to see why they would not be appropriate in some settings. They are however, in my mind, as you say, a complementary style of those who tend to favour a bit of flair.
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
Dont know about groupthink, but I dont like one bit
 

George

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by academe
To me it's often dependent on the overall cut and styling of the suit or coat. For example, I very much like 3-piece suits with a SB coat with peak lapels and a double-breasted shawl lapel waistcoat (Anthony Eden-inspired)...A very classic & elegant look, in my opinion. I would have to see the styling of individual peak lapel coats to really make a judgement... Mahon's SB peak lapel coats with a hint of belly look very well-balanced and elegant, but other coats I have seen cut by others less so...
I'm not a massive fan of Mahon's tailoring, or 'The Drape" to be honest, but he does cut a very nice DB lapel. SB with DB lapels are beautiful, if cut well (isn't everything) and I agree with those who have already said that they add flair to the coat. Dandy-esque maybe. I think its better to ignore those who say that they are 'fashion forward' or are everywhere in RTW, notch lapels are also everywhere in RTW. Are they then fashion forward? Silly argument. It's just a different lapel treatment that's all. I get nearly all my coats now SB with DB lapels, in fact, today, I've just ordered a linen suit in H&S cigar coloured linen and that's getting the DB lapel treatment.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
774
I'm a big fan, too. Especially with flannel.
 

George

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm a big fan, too. Especially with flannel.
They look very good with stripes. One of the reasons I like them is because I like the flair of a DB jacket but can't wear them because I overheat and have to unfasten the coat. This kills the aesthetic of DB which needs to be fastened to look its best. SB DB lapped coats give me a bit of that DB flair but allow me to unbutton the coat without it killing the look. A nice compromise.
 

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
26,132
Reaction score
1,645
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm a big fan, too. Especially with flannel.

I like looking at them but I can't picture myself ordering one...

Strange...

It is like looking to a beautiful sexy woman but couldn't picture yourself with her...
 

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
68
Originally Posted by lasbar
It is like looking to a beautiful sexy woman but couldn't picture yourself with her...

I have never thought that
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,856
Once the Rubinacci crowd pronounced themselves against SB peak, SF was bound to follow.

I used to get these from time to time and I don't wear mine much any more. I have just gotten really fusty in my old age. I don't see them around NY that's for sure. Very, very rare.

I love DB with that A&S belly but SB peak with belly I can't stand. Old Neapolitan versions, of which I saw many pictures on my trip, seemed to do the lapel shape much better.
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by Manton
I used to get these from time to time and I don't wear mine much any more. I have just gotten really fusty in my old age. I.



Funny thing is I don't feel old enough for them. Most of the guys I see with them are at least pushing 60. Many older.
 

Lusitano

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
I'm with you lasbar, on rare occasions i like looking at them, but can't imagine wearing them, neither in a business nor leisure setting.

For me, peak lapels Single breasted is dinner suit only.
 

Srynerson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
303
Reaction score
1
I think SB peak lapels look great for a flashier "cocktail attire" type jacket/suit, particular with just two buttons. (I'll also add that, in my experience, probably 90%+ of the general population does not even comprehend the difference between peak lapels and notch lapels, so I've never understood the SF/AAAC groupthink about how "inappropriate" SB peak lapels are.)
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 85 17.4%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 155 31.8%
  • 8”

    Votes: 141 28.9%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 57 11.7%
  • 9”

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,734
Messages
9,316,137
Members
195,483
Latest member
teddi
Top