1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Shoe Trees Important

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrTKN, Dec 15, 2011.

1. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

They aren't always cheap... Carmina shoe trees are €60, but I guess it's worth it since they fit so well inside the shoes. If you can afford it, you should get lasted trees. It doesn't make much sense to buy €350+ shoes and stuff cheap generic trees inside, unless of course they happen to fit neatly... otherwise you could even ruin the shoes...

Quote:

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

AFAIK, Carmina's shoe trees are not lasted, which makes them a poor value at €60 IMO.

3. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

4. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

I managed to get a couple of pairs of shoe trees in spite of my deepest convictions otherwise. They all managed to fit quite snugly into my shoes with the exception of one. Even though I bought different types (all cedar though) They couldn't quite fit into my Magnannis. The toe end seemed to be under high stress as it has quite a slim profile compared to my other shoes. I completely agree with apropos and RDiaz, cheap generic shoe trees do more harm than good.

[​IMG]

As I drove home it suddenly struck me! Why don't I get a well made leather shoe from the thrift shop and conduct a little experiment? Inspired by Gdot and others,I thought I would conduct an experiment wherein I immerse leather soled shoes in water for half an hour or more. Following this, I would tissue dry excess water from both shoes, place a shoe tree in one and leave the other without. I found an Italian made shoe with quite a bit of wear left in it. Soft leather uppers and a more than ample amount of the original sole in place and intact. I don't have the shoe with me now but the name did not ring any bells. The experiment will end either when the sole of the un-treed shoe curls appreciably or the soles completely dry out-which ever comes first. To make everything standard, I will measure the distance from the toe end to the surface on which the shoe will rest in millimetres when the sole is wet/ when is has dried out. I am considering drying them outside away from the sun to speed up the process of drying. Any qualms or shortcomings in the little experiment? Will post pictures up shortly. If there is not difference between the two shoes; I win and I get an extra pair of weekend shoes. If I'm wrong I will be a greater advocate for shoe trees than the world has ever seen

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

How much are C&J 337 last shoe trees? Is there a significant benefit in using lasted shoe trees?

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

define significant

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it's the shape and not the prize of the trees. btw, i never found apropos comments helpful, anyway.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Significant in that after some period of time, a pair of shoes using lasted shoe trees will look better than a pair of shoes not using lasted shoe trees.

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i don't think so. trees should have a good fit, though.

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

...mind pointing out where I said that? Don't lump me in with your small minded and completely wrong agenda.

Jeez louise, where did that come from? Did you even read my post?? :(

11. Butler

Butler Senior member

:cheers:

12. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

My sincere apologies for that. I inadvertantly misquoted you since you had quoted RDiaz in reply to his comment. The sun was in my eyes and I was walking against the wind...made it really hard for me to see

When in fact what you has said was;

Which I completely agree with by the way...[​IMG]?

13. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

My sincere apologies for misquoting you. It was inadvertant and due to a temporary lapse in concentration. I had in fact read your post and I do agree with what you said

Quote: [​IMG]

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

They are not lasted, that's true, and yes they are expensive for what they are... but they fit much better than generic shoe trees I've tried. Still, you should get lasted trees if possible, or if you get generic ones, try as many as possible until you find something that really fits. Now that could be tricky, as I have a pair of Magnannis I bought some trees for that seemed to fit really well, yet after some time I noticed they were creasing the sides of the shoe in a very strange way...

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I really don't get this thread.

If you feel strongly that shoe trees don't work, don't use them.

How hard is this?

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

For ready-to-wear (RTW) shoes, it is entirely reasonable to buy a second pair of the same model, but one size smaller, and then stuff the smaller pair into the larger for a perfect fit. In every dimension, the smaller pair is a perfect smaller simulation of the larger...and where it's not, wetting, hammering, folding, and otherwise forcing the smaller pair into your precious shoes works (reference: Iroh's Guides[​IMG], Fall 2008 issue.)

Such "turducken" trees are relatively common in the Southeastern United States ("rebel" or "reb" states.)

IRL (in real life) I am asked every day, "What is the purpose of Allen-Edmonds seconds?"

I answer not in words, but with my eyes, rolling them back in my head, like the "smiley" that this web site has.

Perhaps you've seen that "smiley."

17. brokentelephone

brokentelephone Senior member

Funny post!

I am pretty anal about things like shoe trees, and try to get lasted whenever possible. That said, I am not sure there is any additional benefit at all because the main point is to smooth out wrinkles and keep the soles flat, and non-lasted trees seem to do the exact same thing. I found myself getting a bit OCD about dumb shoe shit after I started reading online a few years back. My Dad has a closet filled with a lifetime of nice shoes and he uses old plastic or metal shoe trees, and most of them still look great.

Shoe trees are heavy shit.

18. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

In what knot do you tie your shoelaces?