Are Shoe Trees Important

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrTKN, Dec 15, 2011.

1. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

srs, we will make a lot of money together.

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Do you need shoe trees for every pair of shoes? I've heard shoes are fine after about a day of tree lovin', so rotating one or two trees is fine. Truth or fiction? And is there anything wrong with the cheap Jos. A Bank trees that go on sale 3 for $25 from time to time?

4. otc

otc Senior member

I think you don't want trees to be shaped quite like feet.

A shoe tree usually puts pressure on the shoe and forces it back into shape...when you wear the shoe, it will start to bend funny where it doesn't fit your foot perfectly and the tree will help push it back into the shape of the last.

Even with a bespoke last built based on your foot, you would want to fill the parts of the shoe that are extended past your own foot (such as in the toe box)

to the OP: in the time it took you to write that post, you could have applied for a part time job and worked enough hours to pay for a pair of $12 shoe trees at nordstrom rack.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i don't believe that your assumption is correct.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@otc :laugh:

personally i make sure to have a pair of shoe trees for every pair of shoes. any wooden tree should be fine.

i really dont understand this whole thing though. shoe trees are so cheap i dont know why a person wouldnt just get em :confused:

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yeah, I get a pair of shoe trees every time I buy a pair of shoes. All my shoes are stored with trees.

8. otc

otc Senior member

I think I am a pair short right now...but I try to keep it 1:1 since the ones from the rack (or the ones costco used to sell) are so cheap.

Doesn't mean you have to buy a new one every time you buy shoes (so except for fancy lasted ones, it doesn't make sense for them to come with shoes). They don't wear out or anything so when you retire or sell a pair of shoes, you just move the trees on to your next purchase.

If they lose that cedar scent, just take some fine sandpaper to them for 30 seconds and they are good as new.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm getting a pretty strong visual of your belt rack.

[​IMG]

Of course, given a man's individual taste, YBMV.

10. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

You make for to have funny joke on SF boys eh?

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

They aren't always cheap... Carmina shoe trees are €60, but I guess it's worth it since they fit so well inside the shoes. If you can afford it, you should get lasted trees. It doesn't make much sense to buy €350+ shoes and stuff cheap generic trees inside, unless of course they happen to fit neatly... otherwise you could even ruin the shoes...

Quote:

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

AFAIK, Carmina's shoe trees are not lasted, which makes them a poor value at €60 IMO.

13. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

14. MrTKN

MrTKN Member

I managed to get a couple of pairs of shoe trees in spite of my deepest convictions otherwise. They all managed to fit quite snugly into my shoes with the exception of one. Even though I bought different types (all cedar though) They couldn't quite fit into my Magnannis. The toe end seemed to be under high stress as it has quite a slim profile compared to my other shoes. I completely agree with apropos and RDiaz, cheap generic shoe trees do more harm than good.

[​IMG]

As I drove home it suddenly struck me! Why don't I get a well made leather shoe from the thrift shop and conduct a little experiment? Inspired by Gdot and others,I thought I would conduct an experiment wherein I immerse leather soled shoes in water for half an hour or more. Following this, I would tissue dry excess water from both shoes, place a shoe tree in one and leave the other without. I found an Italian made shoe with quite a bit of wear left in it. Soft leather uppers and a more than ample amount of the original sole in place and intact. I don't have the shoe with me now but the name did not ring any bells. The experiment will end either when the sole of the un-treed shoe curls appreciably or the soles completely dry out-which ever comes first. To make everything standard, I will measure the distance from the toe end to the surface on which the shoe will rest in millimetres when the sole is wet/ when is has dried out. I am considering drying them outside away from the sun to speed up the process of drying. Any qualms or shortcomings in the little experiment? Will post pictures up shortly. If there is not difference between the two shoes; I win and I get an extra pair of weekend shoes. If I'm wrong I will be a greater advocate for shoe trees than the world has ever seen

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

How much are C&J 337 last shoe trees? Is there a significant benefit in using lasted shoe trees?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011