• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are sharkskin suits popular again?

neato

Reaction score
In the past, I've always associated sharkskin suits with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. However, lately I've noticed quite a few modern celebrities wearing sharkskin suits. Some look way too shiny/flashy, while others have a very slight sheen that look decent. Is it just my imagination, or is sharkskin in style again? If so, do you think it's just a fad, or does it have some staying power?

.........I guess what I really want to know is if sharkskin suits are okay to wear to the office, or only out to a bar? :embar:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a blue/teal sharkskin suit a few years ago -- a good, but not great suit. Sharkskin can still work for a suit, provided it does not have a shiny luster to it. The rat pack sharkskin suits of the 1960's would look dated today. Mine has gotten relegated to informal wear -- not something that would be appropriate for the boardroom or an interview. At best, sharkskin would make a fourth or fifth suit fabric choice.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never went out of style for me, but I don't follow trends so what do I know? :)

Here's mine anyway:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
man, i sure hope they're not out of style. just placed an order for the navy sharkskin from indochino (it doesn't look too shiny to me)

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That suit looks very good, imho. Where did you get it?

In Sydney (where I live)

A hand-finished made-to-measure from P Johnson Tailors.

Fabric is Loro Piana Navy Sharkskin (from their All Seasons Book).

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew it went out of style. Not all sharkskin fabric have a high sheen to them. It's very durable though.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it just my imagination, or is sharkskin in style again? If so, do you think it's just a fad, or does it have some staying power?

I think a general current interest in suits with something of a sheen was sparked by Cruise's blue MI4 suit earlier this year. I don't think it specifically was sharkskin but nonetheless I think it's resulted in a few people wanting to wear slightly shiny suits again. This sort of popularity comes and goes.

In and of itself, sharkskin can be a nice fabric if it's made of natural fabrics (eg mohair/wool blend). It's been around for ages and won't be going anywhere I suspect, regardless of peaks & troughs of wider popularity. Personally, I not massively keen on it - if I want a very slight sheen, a little silk in the blend but without a typical sharkskin weave would be my preference - but still, I can see the appeal.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a good use of the sharks besides just making soup out of the fins and throwing the rest away.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't sharkskin just a type of weave (AKA Pick n' Pick) and doesn't have to be shiny at all?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't sharkskin just a type of weave (AKA Pick n' Pick) and doesn't have to be shiny at all?

It is among people who would be inclined to know that sort of thing.

I imagine John Q. Public would associate it with shine since most (recognizable) examples are shiny.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is among people who would be inclined to know that sort of thing.
I imagine John Q. Public would associate it with shine since most (recognizable) examples are shiny.

Exactly. I have a light grey sharkskin and it has no shine but texturally it is very smooth, the other end of the spectrum from donegal or something similar.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew there was anything untoward about sharkskin (aka pick and pick). I had Chan make me up a suit from a VBC 110 gray sharkskin a couple of years ago. Truth be told, I didn't even know it was sharkskin until Patrick Chu told me it was. That suit will always have a special place in my heart because one day, while I was wearing it, a lady--a complete stranger, I might add--volunteered that I looked just like Cary Grant! I had never fancied there was a resemblance, so I think it must have been the gray suit!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads