1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are sharkskin suits popular again?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by neato, Sep 20, 2012.

1. misterkisses

misterkisses Member

[​IMG]

i just got this one. wanted to share.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Sorry but that looks awful.

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's quite inpolite of you.

4. misterkisses

misterkisses Member

i dont think it was inpolite of you, however vague.
    this is a fashion forum after all.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I am very sorry misterkisses , I was commenting last night with a very anguish mind.
    But however, I believe you may benefit from lurking in this forum if you want to dress better.

6. misterkisses

misterkisses Member

oh i wasnt offended. i just wanted to share my new suit. which is sharkskin.

"dont cast your pearls before swine", it is what it is.

7. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Got married in sharkskin, Holland and Sherry 8oz, 80% tropical worsted, 20% kid mohair - not too shiny:

[​IMG]

8. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I know the traditional sharkskin (pick-and-pick), which is an even twill weave that alternates black (or coloured) and white yarns in both the warp and weft. But what is the shiny sharkskin exactly? Is it the same weave, just in mohair or polyester? I have a traditional sharkskin suit in all wool and it isn't shiny at all.

9. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Th
    the guy appears to be musician, so the white shoes (trainers?), tie may not be out of place and black shirt is clearly evening wear.
    The suit looks to have a pull (too tight/ "X" on the jacket) due to the high jacket button vs. need to get shape into it. I have the same problem with an Armani suit slim fit reconstruction.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  10. Hacking jacket

Very nice indeed. The cloth merchant of Savile Row: is mohair a Savile Row trend? I've an Ede and Ravenscroft 'non-shark skin' but with similar mohair content. 'The mods' use to be big on mohair suits in the '70s

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. misterkisses

misterkisses Member

looking at the picture, i do think its a little "country" - ive decided to change the shirt, or the tie, i am not sure ( wider tie? maybe retro paisley? green? or blue shirt? ) the shoes are creepers. i agree that its x'd in the front. maybe it was because i was holding that heavy guitar. that is insightful about the button being too high and ride of the suit.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hacking jacket

At a guess I'd say a musician needs to stand out, without looking out of place.

Personally I dig black shirts for evening wear, particular if i was a musician. However I would try a slim grey/silver tie FIH, (possibly very slim red with a much fainter red pocket square). Black ties on black evening shirts personally I think are totally pointless.

I like bow ties for evening wear but there're complicated by the need for a waist coat, braces (suspenders) and cut back collar and you might be mistaken for a Mexican musician. A tie is nicely balanced.

... Black leather shoes, patent or Oxfords. Velvet slippers might work for you but there're far too avant guarde for me.

Correcting an X without losing the shape of a jacket with a high (rib cage) button is tough, and needs to be let out a bit at a time. Is the jacket vented?

13. Hacking jacket

Delete duplicate post please.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  14. misterkisses

misterkisses Member

it isnt vented. i asked for a sports cut. the tailor made a few errors in the sleeves, the left shoulder-to-sleeve panel is blousing. i like your idea of a red tie/hanky.

15. Hacking jacket

Ok that's exactly what I have with an Armani suit. I think the lack of venting increases the pull on the jacket (its just a theory). Building vents into a jacket is easy if you have spare material. The tailor can easily correct his errors just return the jacket and he should correct the pull and everything else for free. He will charge extra to introduce vents

16. fonziefriday

fonziefriday New Member

college graduation suit. [​IMG]