Are sharkskin suits popular again?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by neato, Sep 20, 2012.

1. neato

neato Senior member

In the past, I've always associated sharkskin suits with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. However, lately I've noticed quite a few modern celebrities wearing sharkskin suits. Some look way too shiny/flashy, while others have a very slight sheen that look decent. Is it just my imagination, or is sharkskin in style again? If so, do you think it's just a fad, or does it have some staying power?

.........I guess what I really want to know is if sharkskin suits are okay to wear to the office, or only out to a bar? :embar:

2. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I bought a blue/teal sharkskin suit a few years ago -- a good, but not great suit. Sharkskin can still work for a suit, provided it does not have a shiny luster to it. The rat pack sharkskin suits of the 1960's would look dated today. Mine has gotten relegated to informal wear -- not something that would be appropriate for the boardroom or an interview. At best, sharkskin would make a fourth or fifth suit fabric choice.

3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Never went out of style for me, but I don't follow trends so what do I know? :)

Here's mine anyway:

[​IMG]

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

man, i sure hope they're not out of style. just placed an order for the navy sharkskin from indochino (it doesn't look too shiny to me)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. facet

facet Senior member

That suit looks very good, imho. Where did you get it?

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

In Sydney (where I live)

A hand-finished made-to-measure from P Johnson Tailors.

Fabric is Loro Piana Navy Sharkskin (from their All Seasons Book).

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I never knew it went out of style. Not all sharkskin fabric have a high sheen to them. It's very durable though.

8. Dib

Dib Senior member

+1 on both counts

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I think a general current interest in suits with something of a sheen was sparked by Cruise's blue MI4 suit earlier this year. I don't think it specifically was sharkskin but nonetheless I think it's resulted in a few people wanting to wear slightly shiny suits again. This sort of popularity comes and goes.

In and of itself, sharkskin can be a nice fabric if it's made of natural fabrics (eg mohair/wool blend). It's been around for ages and won't be going anywhere I suspect, regardless of peaks & troughs of wider popularity. Personally, I not massively keen on it - if I want a very slight sheen, a little silk in the blend but without a typical sharkskin weave would be my preference - but still, I can see the appeal.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. Patek

Patek Senior member

I think it is a good use of the sharks besides just making soup out of the fins and throwing the rest away.

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Isn't sharkskin just a type of weave (AKA Pick n' Pick) and doesn't have to be shiny at all?

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

It is among people who would be inclined to know that sort of thing.

I imagine John Q. Public would associate it with shine since most (recognizable) examples are shiny.

13. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Exactly. I have a light grey sharkskin and it has no shine but texturally it is very smooth, the other end of the spectrum from donegal or something similar.

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I never knew there was anything untoward about sharkskin (aka pick and pick). I had Chan make me up a suit from a VBC 110 gray sharkskin a couple of years ago. Truth be told, I didn't even know it was sharkskin until Patrick Chu told me it was. That suit will always have a special place in my heart because one day, while I was wearing it, a lady--a complete stranger, I might add--volunteered that I looked just like Cary Grant! I had never fancied there was a resemblance, so I think it must have been the gray suit!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  15. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

:)