• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are RLBL dress shirts top quality?

Bexcellence

Reaction score
Was mainly looking at them cause they have a good brand name (RL) behind it and it has the slim fit. But how would it compare to other luxurious brands?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not say they were top quality, but the ones I own have decent fabric and MOP buttons. I reckon for under $150, they are a good bang for the buck. You pay a hell of a lot less for RLBL than several other SF approved shirt brands. Only you can decide whether the cost - quality trade off errs in favour of cost.

ijesse

Reaction score
They're ok.

They shrink at the sleeves quite a bit. Although the MOP buttons are nice, they crease like mofo's and are really delicate.

I found that Polo RL shirts are much more durable, and if i wanted much better quality I would jump up to RLPL. :slayer:

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a white RLBL that lasted 3 years with regular wearing and dry cleaning. I also had three RLPL that lasted about the same time but with even more frequent wearings and dry cleanings. The fabric on the PLs were nicer but I don't think I'd pay the premium for either anymore. I replaced them all with RL Polo Custom Fit.

Last edited:

jim10

Reaction score
The problem with those shirts is they only sell by neck size, instead of neck and sleeve size like most dress shirts. I have slightly long arms, and their sleeve length for my neck size won't fit me.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have long arms too so its unfortunate that Polo Custom Fit switched to neck size only but in doing so they totally redesigned the shirt to be a slimmer fit throughout the arms and body. They also went wit ha relatively long standard arm length and I have no problems with shrinkage after multiple trips to the cleaner. Also, the necks on the Polo Custom Fit are more "forgiving" than their PL and BL counterparts. For BL/PL you better be a 15" and no bigger when you buy a 15", but with custom fit they're just mildly looser so you can adjust it to fit perfect just by moving the button slightly.

shakattk

Reaction score
Inferior quality to the top brands. Mass produced mid-tier shirts, including RLPL.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
They are a high quality but not so easy to maintain. they are easy to crease and do not resist to wrnkles well but are a great fabric and the buttons are nice.

GHo

Reaction score

The problem with those shirts is they only sell by neck size, instead of neck and sleeve size like most dress shirts. I have slightly long arms, and their sleeve length for my neck size won't fit me.

Man, I wondered why they stopped using sleeve size.

If I was a 15 32/33 with the old Custom Fits - what (approx) should I buy now for the same fit?

15/38?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, I wondered why they stopped using sleeve size.

If I was a 15 32/33 with the old Custom Fits - what (approx) should I buy now for the same fit?

15/38?

You'll do fine with the 15/38, 32/33 is a normal sleeve length. I'm a 34 and I fit fine into the 15/38.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I recently purchased two RLBL shirts off the B&S forum.

Firstly, there are nice shirts and look very nice with good collar and cuff construction - they aren't stiff, so comforable to wear. However, as pointed out earlier, the sleeve lenght leaves much to be desired. The cutting is also very slim. Being 6 foot tall and weighing 192lbs, my arms and chest barely fit into these shirts. RLPL, which I normally wear, are way too large for me, so I have had them tapered in.

If I was of a smaller build, I would definitely buy more RLBL shirts.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like PRL for everyday shirts and RLPL for nicer shirts. RLBL is a bit of a no man's land for me. They are not as durable as Polo and not as luxurious as Purple Label.

tommygun76

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and wanted to jump in. Love the look of the RLBL shirts but the fit is what I dislike as well. I read a few other's stating they had problems with the fit being correct based on weight/height etc...Pretty dissapointing for a nicer quality shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads