1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are RLBL dress shirts top quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

Was mainly looking at them cause they have a good brand name (RL) behind it and it has the slim fit. But how would it compare to other luxurious brands?

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I would not say they were top quality, but the ones I own have decent fabric and MOP buttons. I reckon for under $150, they are a good bang for the buck. You pay a hell of a lot less for RLBL than several other SF approved shirt brands. Only you can decide whether the cost - quality trade off errs in favour of cost.

3. ijesse

ijesse Well-Known Member

They're ok.

They shrink at the sleeves quite a bit. Although the MOP buttons are nice, they crease like mofo's and are really delicate.

I found that Polo RL shirts are much more durable, and if i wanted much better quality I would jump up to RLPL. :slayer:

4. Guero

Guero Senior member

+1

5. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I had a white RLBL that lasted 3 years with regular wearing and dry cleaning. I also had three RLPL that lasted about the same time but with even more frequent wearings and dry cleanings. The fabric on the PLs were nicer but I don't think I'd pay the premium for either anymore. I replaced them all with RL Polo Custom Fit.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. jim10

jim10 Well-Known Member

The problem with those shirts is they only sell by neck size, instead of neck and sleeve size like most dress shirts. I have slightly long arms, and their sleeve length for my neck size won't fit me.

7. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I have long arms too so its unfortunate that Polo Custom Fit switched to neck size only but in doing so they totally redesigned the shirt to be a slimmer fit throughout the arms and body. They also went wit ha relatively long standard arm length and I have no problems with shrinkage after multiple trips to the cleaner. Also, the necks on the Polo Custom Fit are more "forgiving" than their PL and BL counterparts. For BL/PL you better be a 15" and no bigger when you buy a 15", but with custom fit they're just mildly looser so you can adjust it to fit perfect just by moving the button slightly.

8. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

Inferior quality to the top brands. Mass produced mid-tier shirts, including RLPL.

9. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

They are a high quality but not so easy to maintain. they are easy to crease and do not resist to wrnkles well but are a great fabric and the buttons are nice.

10. GHo

GHo Senior member

Man, I wondered why they stopped using sleeve size.

If I was a 15 32/33 with the old Custom Fits - what (approx) should I buy now for the same fit?

15/38?

11. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

You'll do fine with the 15/38, 32/33 is a normal sleeve length. I'm a 34 and I fit fine into the 15/38.

12. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

I recently purchased two RLBL shirts off the B&S forum.

Firstly, there are nice shirts and look very nice with good collar and cuff construction - they aren't stiff, so comforable to wear. However, as pointed out earlier, the sleeve lenght leaves much to be desired. The cutting is also very slim. Being 6 foot tall and weighing 192lbs, my arms and chest barely fit into these shirts. RLPL, which I normally wear, are way too large for me, so I have had them tapered in.

If I was of a smaller build, I would definitely buy more RLBL shirts.

13. tomee

tomee Senior member

always wondered what made the PL so much more expensive than regular custom fit?
    is it the MOP?

14. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I like PRL for everyday shirts and RLPL for nicer shirts. RLBL is a bit of a no man's land for me. They are not as durable as Polo and not as luxurious as Purple Label.

1 person likes this.
  15. tommygun76

tommygun76 New Member

Hey guys, new here and wanted to jump in. Love the look of the RLBL shirts but the fit is what I dislike as well. I read a few other's stating they had problems with the fit being correct based on weight/height etc...Pretty dissapointing for a nicer quality shirt.

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

JeromeStyle, is that you? :uhoh:

17. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I don't think it's entirely incorrect to assume a brand name will get you quality, it many cases it will. Unfortunately it also means you'll probably pay more for a shirt of equal quality when it is branded. It's largely as a result of brands becoming too popular and the brand owners licensing their name out or using various derivations of that brand name that has given brand names a bad rap as of late; LAUREN Ralph Lauren is an excellent example, not really RL at all.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

Ralph Lauen Black labels are of great 100 % broadcloth cotton quality. Personally, I'd talk myself out of buying their dress shirts because of the price.

I buy fitted 1MX Fitted dress shirts from Express. Sure its not premium cotton but its cheap and I don't feel too bad if I spill something on it.

Now what I've done is INVEST in a Black Label suit. Its classic and modern and great Italian made wool with FULL canvas construction. Trust me, one of the best suits you can get off the rack for us slim or lean guys.

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

im not a huge fan of them...the purple label shirting is better, but still leaves something to be desired.
    Personally, id get a brooks bros. extra slim fit before id get a RLBL. seems the only plus black label has over BB is the shitty MOP buttons.

20. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

The collars on the BB extra slim fit feel like garbage compared to the RLBL. And you can't get a 15" neck with a long enough sleeve length in BB extra slim for me.