Are rimless glasses a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Apr 6, 2011.

1. andreinewell

andreinewell Active Member

isn't there a flexible/ rimless brand or is that lindberg? sorry haven't needed glasses in a few years since i had lasik.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a pair of the rimless Kawasaki eyeglasses for five years. They were great and I got a lot of compliments. They are somewhat stealth. http://www.italee.com/kawa/main.htm

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another option is to consider clear frames . Maybe something like this? Almost every eyewear company makes them in slightly different shapes. Andy Warhol used to wear them. I have the pair below.

[​IMG]

4. changy

changy Senior member

Consider half rimmed?

5. shademore

shademore Senior member

From experience, once you get into the higher quality frames rimlesss are no more or less fragile than their half or full rim brethren. That said you do want to avoid low quality economy lenses when fitting your new frame. Its pretty obvious that lens quality becomes critical when the lenses are integral to the overall structure.
    I have a couple stout rimless Man frames for sale over on ebay right now. Check them out and drop me a message if you're interested.

Mont Blanc 247
    Tag Track 7103

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I had a pair of the rimless Kawasaki eyeglasses for five years. They were great and I got a lot of compliments. They are somewhat stealth. http://www.italee.com/kawa/main.htm

Good recommendation - I love those frames, I forsee a future where I get a pair as backup.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Lasik surgery ten years ago. I never looked back, although it's now possible for me to see much farther back than before the procedure.

One of the top five best parts of Lasik is that you can buy whatever sunglasses strike your fancy from cheap Asian knockoffs to something you probably shouldn't spend THAT much money on.

What? This thread isn't about vision correction?

8. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Love Italee.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I prefer them, but they're fragile and must be handled with care.

x2

I also have some rimless sunglasses that I love. 3 months and no cracks/blemishes (crosses fingers)

10. c3r3br0

c3r3br0 Member

Cracking depends how you hard u wear them. I've been wearing rimless for about 20 years now and my very first pair didn't start cracking until about 5 years after I got them and that was because they were downgraded to the "Saturday morning yard work pair".

11. grate

grate Member

With rimless/drill mount, there is a larger difference in integrity/durability between high quality and cheap entry level. Silhouette is the best engineered rimless/drill mount that you will find in most opticals-- the lenses will scratch or degrade before the frame loses integrity.

12. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

I have had mine for three years, no problems.

Silhouette.

13. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Thinking about getting them as a second pair. I've heard of cracking/"frosting" problems...has anyone experienced that?

I also can't decide if I even like the styling.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I got a pair of Silhouettes, they're now my go to pair. I recommend them, and I'm yet to have any problems with the lenses. The only thing I get with them are smudges from the caterpillars that are my eyebrows. My brows put Scorsese to shame.

14. braised

braised Senior member

I have had mine for three years, no problems.

Silhouette.

+10

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Thanks all, I think I'll try on some Silhouettes. PSG, thanks for the Kawasaki recommendation...but Sarah Palin wears those. [​IMG] [​IMG]