1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are rimless glasses a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Thinking about getting them as a second pair. I've heard of cracking/"frosting" problems...has anyone experienced that?

I also can't decide if I even like the styling.

2. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i have rimless, the only problem is that they are fragile, and mine have become a bit bent out of shape. i think it is my fault though i am not very gentle with them.
    my optician gave me the following advice, always hold the lense while cleaing it, dont hold by the nosepeice etc

3. robin

robin Senior member

The style is horrible, even worse than those little rectangle frames.

4. spoolinq

spoolinq Member

I had rimless for a while. No cracking/frosting problems. I agree with davesmith that it is fragile. It gets bent easy.

5. Dib

Dib Senior member

I have a pair of rimless Lindbergs. I've had them for about 3 years, and haven't had any problems with the lenses frosting/cracking etc.

Stylistically, I think they look fantastic. I have thicker frames that I wear from time to time too, but I like the simplicity and delicate look of rimless frames.

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

will help you look less like sally jesse raphael.

7. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

They look good on people with lean, angular faces.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm kind of tired of the Harry Potter jokes that come with my Oliver Peoples frames. [​IMG]

9. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I'm kind of tired of the Harry Potter jokes that come with my Oliver Peoples frames. [​IMG]
    Oh, now I get the: Do you work at Hagworth's? comments. Maybe I should read those books.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

I've had a pair of Lindbergs for 7 or 8 years, and there are cracks that started from the holes where the hardware attaches, but it's still going strong. The only maintenance I've had done was regluing one of the metal pieces back to secure it in its hole.

--Andre

11. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

will help you look less like sally jesse raphael.

LOL!

[​IMG]

12. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

The style is horrible, even worse than those little rectangle frames.

Surely, that is subjective and does not suggest everyone share that sentiment. To me they are iconic of the '30s and quite understated.

I've had a pair of Lindbergs for 7 or 8 years, and there are cracks that started from the holes where the hardware attaches, but it's still going strong. The only maintenance I've had done was regluing one of the metal pieces back to secure it in its hole.

--Andre

Indeed, Lindberg is a good choice. Their frames hold up well and one is likely to update the lenses before the frames brake.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I prefer them, but they're fragile and must be handled with care.

14. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

How could anyone say Oliver People's frames look like Harry Potter's? That's the most stupid thing I've heard in weeks.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I wear contact lenses usually but when my eyes feel irritated, I wear only rimless like Silhouette.

16. andreinewell

andreinewell Active Member

isn't there a flexible/ rimless brand or is that lindberg? sorry haven't needed glasses in a few years since i had lasik.

17. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a pair of the rimless Kawasaki eyeglasses for five years. They were great and I got a lot of compliments. They are somewhat stealth. http://www.italee.com/kawa/main.htm

18. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another option is to consider clear frames . Maybe something like this? Almost every eyewear company makes them in slightly different shapes. Andy Warhol used to wear them. I have the pair below.

[​IMG]

19. changy

changy Senior member

Consider half rimmed?

20. shademore

shademore Senior member

From experience, once you get into the higher quality frames rimlesss are no more or less fragile than their half or full rim brethren. That said you do want to avoid low quality economy lenses when fitting your new frame. Its pretty obvious that lens quality becomes critical when the lenses are integral to the overall structure.
    I have a couple stout rimless Man frames for sale over on ebay right now. Check them out and drop me a message if you're interested.

Mont Blanc 247
    Tag Track 7103