• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are pull-ups, push-ups, dips, kettlebell swings, and jumping rope a complete workout?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Title basically says it all--out of laziness and the fact that I have the equipment to do all of these things in my house, I'd like to pare down my workout routines to just these essentials. A typical day might be 100 pull-ups (I weigh myself down for these with a hiking pack full of books, and usually do ten at a time), 100 push-ups (25 at a time), and 100 kettlebell swings (50 lb) or 500 jumps (2 lb weighted rope) or so. I throw dips in whenever I can because they can be done anywhere.

What I'm wondering at this point is whether my body will eventually explode or something from the limited range of movements that I'm doing. On the other hand, most of what I'm describing is pretty full-body--so maybe this is actually the perfect economy of exercises?

Thanks, all!

[Edit: I accidentally signed the original post with my name.]

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds like a pretty damn good work out to me.

that said - you won't build up long endurance like you would if you did long runs, or big muscles like if you did Olympic weights, but will that be the end of the world? if you are trying to get and stay pretty fit with what you have at home this isn't a bad plan

captainfalcon

Reaction score
Depends on what your goals are.
If it's just for general health and conditioning I'd say it's a good workout.

If you're trying to get swole though it's probably not enough.

Jabal-Tariq

Reaction score

Hi all,

Title basically says it all--out of laziness and the fact that I have the equipment to do all of these things in my house, I'd like to pare down my workout routines to just these essentials. A typical day might be 100 pull-ups (I weigh myself down for these with a hiking pack full of books, and usually do ten at a time), 100 push-ups (25 at a time), and 100 kettlebell swings (50 lb) or 500 jumps (2 lb weighted rope) or so. I throw dips in whenever I can because they can be done anywhere.

What I'm wondering at this point is whether my body will eventually explode or something from the limited range of movements that I'm doing. On the other hand, most of what I'm describing is pretty full-body--so maybe this is actually the perfect economy of exercises?

Thanks, all!

- Jon

I've been involved in Muay Thai for 20 years, learning, fighting now training. A complete workout is pretty simple, and has 2 aspects. Strength Training and Cardio, this almost sounds like a complete workout other then it seems you leaving out the cardio part.

Think about it like this, if a fat guy did your workout, would he lost weight? NO but he probably would tone up and get stronger.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I am indeed trying to get swole, and don't care as much about cardio or actual physical fitness--would you guys add anything to this? Rotational exercises? Benching?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am indeed trying to get swole, and don't care as much about cardio or actual physical fitness--would you guys add anything to this? Rotational exercises? Benching?

I'd add some squats in there. Can start with goblet squats (with the kettlebells) and move to overhead squats. Could use some pressing exercises too, you can do overhead press with the kettlebells (50 lbs is probably tough unless you're pretty strong already).

Either way though, that's not a "getting big" routine. Lots of reps of relatively low weight, you're not going to consistently add mass that way. Good for getting in shape though.

Think about it like this, if a fat guy did your workout, would he lost weight? NO but he probably would tone up and get stronger.

Nonsense. A) "toning up" means you lost fat B) this is a good example of an interval based weightloss routine. Only difference between using it to lose weight and to get fit would be how much you're eating.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not really going to be able to progressively overload so you're not going to be able to get particularly big at all. I'd just join a gym man.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you are talking about a 20 or a 24 kg KB, if you can do a snatch and press with that, you should get pretty good results. if you add to that a one handed overhead squat, you will be able to get pretty good results. you might not get "swole", but if you can do 100 reps of a snatch and press and then lower into an overhead squat with a 24 kg KB, that is pretty serious.

victoremque

Reaction score

Join an actual gym.

Heavy compounds for low reps (a la 5x5 schemes) supplemented with isolation exercises done within the hypertrophy range (8-12 reps) for a moderate number of sets. Go in 3-4 times a week, leaving adequate rest periods in between sessions, make sure to eat at a caloric surplus and get enough protein.

Please note that this is not an endorsement to go overboard with the protein shakes; strength athletes only really need roughly .85 grams per pound of bodyweight.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
Add some burpees with the pushups and pull-ups for a great total body workout. I hate doing cardio too, so most workouts are some type of circuit training or limited rest periods, 30 seconds - 1 minute, or just do a Tabata workout.

With a kettlebell, check out some exercise like a Turkish get up, snatch, deadlift and the high pull.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics