• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are "premium" socks worth it?

Are "premium" socks worth their price on a quality / longevity basis?

• Yes

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Are socks from Marcoliani and other high end, well known makers worth their price? Many range anywhere from $15-$30 for wool and/or cotton ones where as you can get some other brands such as PRL for as little as $3 a piece. I know that the designs offered by some makers are quite better than mall brands, but are they worth the price quality wise?

I've had pairs of Alfanis and PRL that last me years, and have had a pair of Marcoliani that I'm not too pleased with (and vice-versa).

Interested in everybody's thoughts. :slayer:

Rich0116

Reaction score
For me, the ability to get fitted socks is worth it. I have smaller feet and most '1-size' socks are laughably large. Also, high-quality wool socks were revelatory and I've been slowly replacing most of my old cotton socks with merino wool, even for wear in the summer.

That said, I still have a handful of Gold-Toe as beater socks and I know some of those have lasted me 5 years or more.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still trying to find replacement brands for my beloved Falke no.12 sea islands.

Have el cheapo Uniqlos. They do feel very different.

Magnanimist

Reaction score
In a word yes. They fit better, feel better, and wear better.

biged781

Reaction score
Anecdotally, I've never found the $30+ / pair socks to be worth it. They haven't lasted any longer than my Target 5-packs and I stop noticing the nicer fabric about two minutes after putting them on. YMMV.

max b

Reaction score
It is worth to buy a Ferrari ? Suppose (in a different scale, of course) the question is the same.
Why spending 300.000 dollars to have 4 wheels ? You can spend 4.000 dollars to have 4 wheels buying a Bobomanga car made in China... :)
I suppose it is not only a matter of durability (100% nylon socks of course are more durable compared to 100% cotton), but a matter of comfort, fitting and style..
Only a personal opionion of course, as I have a family to feed.. :D
buy Premium socks people, buy them all the life !!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
"Is it worth it yes or no answer my poal" is probably intentionally dumb way to ask this.

Maybe you'd like to wear some nice socks, and you're trying to stretch your bucks. Lands End sells some nice over-the-calf socks in navy and gray. Wash them in a net and they'll last a little longer.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you think about paul smith socks quality wise?

steffenbp11

Reaction score
I use to buy Paul Smith socks occasionally, but IMO they are way too expensive considering how long they last. Hardly any of the paris I bought lasted more than 15-20 wears. I have had the same experience with Pantherella, but I bought these at a discount. These days I almost only wear a danish brand called Egtved. Sturdy, well-made and reasonably priced.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what do you think about paul smith socks quality wise?

I have 6-7 pairs of paul smith socks. All but 1 pairs are made in Italy (others made in Thailand). I like them becos they are really thin and soft. All of them have hand linked toes. Same price they charge for made in Italy or Thailand. They have 2 different cuts. One slimmer than others. But they don't advise which is what. They are one size fit all. So some of them fits bit loose on me.
You will get compliments from strangers everyday when you wear these socks.

Last edited:

minervau

Reaction score
Personally, no. But to be fair, I used to think the same about ties, and I've come around to the importance of high-quality silk and/or six-fold construction, as I've found that the best ties produce a better knot, knot more easily, and look substantially better. Will I have the same change of heart w/r/t socks? I think they are a less visual piece of the wardrobe, so I'm dubious, but never say never . . .

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Interesting comments... seems the majority still feel that they are worth it based on the poll

McPryon

Reaction score
I've had really mixed luck with higher priced socks. I've got a few RLPL socks that are great, but I've had really bad luck with Pantherella. I picked up about 15 pairs of Pantherellas in the last two years and about a third of them have worn through already. Meanwhile my Gold Toes that I've had for a few years are chugging along just fine. For longevity it's not looking good for higher priced socks, to me, anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads