• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are polyester bad for your skin?

eburnea

Reaction score
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer because they are more breathable than cotton and doesn't heat up my skin like cotton does. but i was wondering if it was bad for the skin?

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It may give you skin cancer
lol8[1].gif

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eburnea
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer because they are more breathable than cotton and doesn't heat up my skin like cotton does. but i was wondering if it was bad for the skin?

Good question.

For next to the skin layer polyester is not recommended if you are prone to eczema or allergies (polyesters are derived from petroleum). The positive side of polyester is durability and lack of hydrophilicity (i.e., it does not retain water), and so it makes for good outer/active wear. As folks with eczema have problems retaining moisture in their skin, moisture wicking by polyester is not good. That said, scratchy wool is also not recommended in eczema, even though wool is a non-synthesized and naturally occurring fiber.

- M

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer

This seems like a particularly horrible form of torture. I am shuddering at the thought.
eek.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poleyester keeps you cooler than cotton? Maybe on earth 2

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Those of you who are confused do realize it's 2009, right? All the moisture-wicking tech fabrics are polyester.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you like wearing polyester shirts in summer then wear them. Polyester and Cotton are both Fibers which have very little (if anything) to do with a finished garment’s breathability whatsoever. Cotton fiber is more breathable than blah blah nonsense is spread by pure industry bullshit and sadly a lot of people fall for that trap.

It is funny how people always go straight from fibers to textiles (fabrics) while Totally forgetting the yarn, the structure or weaving of fabric and the chemical properties of the finished cloth.

I have Never known a polyester fiber to be bad for skin. I wondering what made you say that or where you heard it.

Hope it helps

Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
Those of you who are confused do realize it's 2009, right? All the moisture-wicking tech fabrics are polyester.

Well said. Yes of course you can treat polyester / synthetically made fibers to attract moister MUCH better. People just like to romanticize cotton as if it is something superior.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
It are.

Unless it was smuggled into the United States during the insideous Polyester Embargo of 1963.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be very bad for your skin if you ever get burned. I remember a long time ago there was fire at a disco, lots of youngsters got second degree burns all over their body because they had poly/nylon garments.

Besides polyester fabrics are odor magnets. Absorbs fabric softener much better than cotton, but starts to stink just within the hour while you're wearing it.

flipster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
It would be very bad for your skin if you ever get burned. I remember a long time ago there was fire at a disco, lots of youngsters got second degree burns all over their body because they had poly/nylon garments.

Besides polyester fabrics are odor magnets. Absorbs fabric softener much better than cotton, but starts to stink just within the hour while you're wearing it.

second that

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero

I once got into an accident and my polyester blended cheap-ass shorts caught on fire. ******* shorts burned so fast I could hardly react. By the time I got them off, the only part that wasn't burned is the crotch area (thankfully). I got 2nd degree burns all over my thighs. I don't know if cotton burns slower than polyester, but I've sworn off polyester because of this. Well, except for sport activities then I wear those Nike Dri-fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads