• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

are polyester bad for your skin?

eburnea

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer because they are more breathable than cotton and doesn't heat up my skin like cotton does. but i was wondering if it was bad for the skin?
 

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
1,440
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by eburnea
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer because they are more breathable than cotton and doesn't heat up my skin like cotton does. but i was wondering if it was bad for the skin?

Good question.

For next to the skin layer polyester is not recommended if you are prone to eczema or allergies (polyesters are derived from petroleum). The positive side of polyester is durability and lack of hydrophilicity (i.e., it does not retain water), and so it makes for good outer/active wear. As folks with eczema have problems retaining moisture in their skin, moisture wicking by polyester is not good. That said, scratchy wool is also not recommended in eczema, even though wool is a non-synthesized and naturally occurring fiber.

- M
 

NukeMeSlowly

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
860
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by eburnea
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer

This seems like a particularly horrible form of torture. I am shuddering at the thought.
 

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
4,454
Reaction score
4
Poleyester keeps you cooler than cotton? Maybe on earth 2
 

Loose On The Lead

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
Those of you who are confused do realize it's 2009, right? All the moisture-wicking tech fabrics are polyester.
 

tutee

Senior Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
179
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by eburnea
i like wearing polyester shirts in summer because they are more breathable than cotton and doesn't heat up my skin like cotton does. but i was wondering if it was bad for the skin?


If you like wearing polyester shirts in summer then wear them. Polyester and Cotton are both Fibers which have very little (if anything) to do with a finished garment’s breathability whatsoever. Cotton fiber is more breathable than blah blah nonsense is spread by pure industry bullshit and sadly a lot of people fall for that trap.

It is funny how people always go straight from fibers to textiles (fabrics) while Totally forgetting the yarn, the structure or weaving of fabric and the chemical properties of the finished cloth.

I have Never known a polyester fiber to be bad for skin. I wondering what made you say that or where you heard it.

Hope it helps

Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
Those of you who are confused do realize it's 2009, right? All the moisture-wicking tech fabrics are polyester.

Well said. Yes of course you can treat polyester / synthetically made fibers to attract moister MUCH better. People just like to romanticize cotton as if it is something superior.
 

TexasLidig8r

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
284
Reaction score
0
It are.

Unless it was smuggled into the United States during the insideous Polyester Embargo of 1963.
 

entrero

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
12
It would be very bad for your skin if you ever get burned. I remember a long time ago there was fire at a disco, lots of youngsters got second degree burns all over their body because they had poly/nylon garments.

Besides polyester fabrics are odor magnets. Absorbs fabric softener much better than cotton, but starts to stink just within the hour while you're wearing it.
 

flipster

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
175
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by entrero
It would be very bad for your skin if you ever get burned. I remember a long time ago there was fire at a disco, lots of youngsters got second degree burns all over their body because they had poly/nylon garments.

Besides polyester fabrics are odor magnets. Absorbs fabric softener much better than cotton, but starts to stink just within the hour while you're wearing it.


second that
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
19,674
Reaction score
1,551
Originally Posted by entrero
It would be very bad for your skin if you ever get burned. I remember a long time ago there was fire at a disco, lots of youngsters got second degree burns all over their body because they had poly/nylon garments.

Besides polyester fabrics are odor magnets. Absorbs fabric softener much better than cotton, but starts to stink just within the hour while you're wearing it.


I once got into an accident and my polyester blended cheap-ass shorts caught on fire. Fucking shorts burned so fast I could hardly react. By the time I got them off, the only part that wasn't burned is the crotch area (thankfully). I got 2nd degree burns all over my thighs. I don't know if cotton burns slower than polyester, but I've sworn off polyester because of this. Well, except for sport activities then I wear those Nike Dri-fits.
 

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

  • Yes, I’m tacky like that.

  • No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

  • No watch at all.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
466,711
Messages
9,991,503
Members
210,838
Latest member
patrickwww
Top