• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are pocket squares supposed to come stitched into a particular fold style?

BSullivan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Didn't see any similar threads addressing the issue, so I present it to you:

I just went to Boyd's in Philadelphia to exchange a shirt for some cufflinks and a navy-trimmed white pocket square. The gentleman showed me the pocketsquare as I had asked for it, and not thinking anything of it, it was bagged for me and I purchased it. I returned to my office and examined the pocketsquare to find that it had been pre-folded and stiched accross its bulk, preventing me from unfolding it to refold it as I please.

I didn't really think that anyone would want to buy a pre-folded pocketsquare, as that seems pretty cheesy, but apparently I was wrong. Or is this one of those things like when jackets come with the pockets stitched closed and I simply need to remove the stitch?

Whassup, SF?

Brian

SlamMan

Reaction score
My guess is some guys would be just as happy to have it stitched into a fold and that's likely the intent however I don't see any reason you couldn't take out the stitching.

JordanH.

Reaction score
to me pre folded pocket squares are like clip on ties.

still, there's no reason that you can't remove the stitching and maybe iron the creases out.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
to me pre folded pocket squares are like clip on ties.

Good example!

You don't want this evil thing anywhere near your suit. Take it back and get a proper white linen or silk pocket square and enjoy folding it yourself.

BSullivan

Reaction score
You don't recommend just taking out the stitching and ironing? I have a white linen one already; I just thought I could liven things up a little with some navy trim every now and again. Now I've been sucked into this whole novelty pocketsquare quagmire!

It's definitely cheesy, like a clip-on tie. What kind of person doesn't want to fold their own pocket square? It's an abomination.

JordanH.

Reaction score
well, i have never bought a pre folded square before. maybe i will buy one and try to remove the stitching. i have done it before on other things and it came out ok.

and white with navy trim sounds good for a square.

Eccentric

Reaction score
The only pre-folded squares I have seen were for sale at one of the dreadful MW Tux shops. I would stay far, far away.

beau nash

Reaction score
Agree that a white PS with a navy border is a good second item. Agree wholeheartedly that you should take the fake one back.

BSullivan

Reaction score
I'll take it back. If they don't have non-prefolded ones I'll probably just have my girlfriend who has an ivy league degree in design remove the stitching, as I will undoubtedly screw it up and she undoubtedly will not.

Thanks folks.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
well you answered the question your self, if you like the pocket square and it's possible - remove the stitches. if not. it's just cheese. I cant see any harm i altering an object you thought you liked into something you do like. especially if it is something that is hard to find.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had girls pull out my pocketsquare sometimes as their way of flirting. Imagine what would their reaction be if it was a prefolded one.

Its like velcro on shoes.

JordanH.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I've had girls pull out my pocketsquare sometimes as their way of flirting. Imagine what would their reaction be if it was a prefolded one.

Its like velcro on shoes.

i LOL'd.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And just how hard can it be to fold a PS that you have to buy a prefolded/stitched one?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pocket square is the Americanized name for a handkerchief. Now, how are you going to blow your snotty nose on a fake hanky?

Seriously, some people try to give me a hard time for wearing a pocketsquare/hanky - seeing it as some sort f foppish affectation. At least now I can come back with a list of its utilitarian functions. What could you say about a faker?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads