• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are people on this forum mostly hipsters?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
^^

So that's what Arethusa really looks like?

Yeah, only frownier
tongue.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I used to accept the term "hipster" for myself, but now that people assume hipsters are those who listen to My Chemical Romance, I'm completely done.
laugh.gif
**** 'hipsters'

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by persid
Are people on this forum mostly hipster bebop junkies?

burroughs.jpg

Now there's a timeless style!

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<isn't a hipster>

And since someone brought up Henry...

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
I believe you're forgetting about the metal scene.

The metal group is already included in the "cool cliques" list.

Now if we're talking about "glam metal" than yeah, that is one pathetic crowd that could join with the "hipsters" to create the uber Glamster!

Beware, the Glamster takes the cake of the metro/retro/androgyno/skinny like a sticko cliques!

GameBoy

Reaction score
Yuppie seems to fit.

GameBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This thread made me cry. Then I listened to some Panic! At the Disco.

And now you're cutting yourself too?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of this forum as having a subtle, but distinct hipster vibe. That said, I tend to define "hipster" more narrowly and positively than most.

As far as our penchant for "hipster" fashion goes, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, since you seem to be suggesting that we exclude some other type of streetwear. Most of what I think would be regarded as characteristic contemporary streetwear fits into the cluster of looks that form the aesthetic of this board.

That is to say, what designers aren't doing stuff that fits into the overlapping spheres of dry denim, military, workwear, or minimalism?

Gilead

Reaction score
According to the posts on this board people seem to think that hipsters are contemporary emo fad scenesters, how odd.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gilead
According to the posts on this board people seem to think that hipsters are contemporary emo fad scenesters, how odd.

Quite. I've always understood "hispter" and "emo" to be very, very far removed from each other.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Lets all start discussing the difference between hipster/emo/scene/etc... Who cares. The terms change depending on the person so lets talk more about willie

His old pals TG are back! Need I say more?

Damn, I think I gave away my copy of Naked Lunch, was going to pull a quote from it!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always saw hipsters as the type that like apple computers/iPods, had shaved heads, square glasses, and were whores for the latest IT drink.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
WTF is a hipster

guys with tight pants and weird hair that get laid more than you.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by Gilead

Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Quite. I've always understood "hispter" and "emo" to be very, very far removed from each other.

yeah "emo kids" are not what i would consider hipsters. in fact most of what people lump into "hipster" territory is very far removed from my point of reference.

hipster used to just refer to those on the cutting edge of art/music/fashion etc... but now its used to describe anyone with an asymetrical haircut and a lip ring (def not hip).

then again, i live in chicago, which has the second largest community of artists in the world (next to belgium) so there have always been a lot of fashion forward art kids in thrift clothes having fun with fashion as well as a strong representation from every subculture (mods, rockers, skins, punks, rudes etc...) so hipster used to just mean the cool kids riding scooters who where in the know. it seems that in the last few years every subcultural reference point has been put in a blender and mixed beyond recognition. (wait, that actually sounds a bit like myself
plain.gif
)

the term wasnt always used in a derogatory manner. the beats were hipsters. so were the mods and punks and new wavers. i think things like the internet (sufu, vice, scene blogs etc) and urbane outfuckers have co opted what used to be a look (again with the blender thing) and made the real cutting edge push the boundries a whole lot more. when you see skinheads, garage rockers, and teddy boys walking down the runways something has shifted. it used to be you could tell if someone was down from their shoes alone. now everything is co-opted and mishmashed (mis shaped?) if you see a bird with a mod hairdo, old sccool tats, and a vintage dress chances are she might not know the difference between andy warhol or andy griffith. then again anyone can just do a google search and find out anything. the underground is shrinking rapidly. its still there if you look but nothing seems to stay there for long before it shows up at target or the mall.

Originally Posted by Brian SD
I used to accept the term "hipster" for myself, but now that people assume hipsters are those who listen to My Chemical Romance, I'm completely done.
laugh.gif

**** 'hipsters'

again, my chemical romance=not hip. the term is dead anyways. lets bury it and have a funeral (ala "def" in the 90's).

im just going to start calling kids "avant".

as in "that kid was so avant he makes cobrasnake and vice magazine look like details".

im not trying to sound like the old school guy here, lamenting "the way things used to be ".
not at all.
it is what it is.
we are living in exponential times.

having said that, it does kinda rub me the wrong way when a kid is wearing a crimson ghost or unknown pleasures t and doesnt even get the reference.

just sayin'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads