Are oxfords only for suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Sep 20, 2013.

Are oxfords only for suits?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    83.0%
  1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The only two oxfords in my collection are black and brown captoes. I only wear them suits.

However, I notice that some here wear oxfords with odd trousers. Was wondering what the forum's opinion on the matter is.

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

I wear oxfords with smart odd-jackets and trousers - some of my oxfords are not black (i.e. midnight blue, old rose, chameleon)

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Can be worn with a sports coat but perhaps too formal in the twenty first century.

4. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

+1

I even wear some (brown or burgundy) models with dark jeans on weekends.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

I like wearing non-black oxfords with jeans or chinos :)

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I see where your earlier comment to me tied in to this thread.

I would say that I have little need to be so conservative, and wear suits rarely. On that note, maybe that is why I have yet to pick up the stable dark brown/black oxford captoe.

I have mostly boots, derbies, and monks, but I would not be afraid to wear an oxford of more casual color/details with odd trousers and jacket.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Almost exclusively with suits, absolutely never with jeans.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The most formal oxfords such as stitch cap and punch caps I only wear with suits. Once brogues get involved, I don't care as much.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This is my rule as well. I would add that I never wear black shoes of any kind with odd jackets.

10. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I occasionally wear more clunky (i.e. Allen Edmonds) and casual (i.e. wingtip, lighter colors) oxfords with heavily tapered chinos or jeans. I am 21, though, so I get a bit more freedom with what I wear. Black straight tips I'd only wear with a dark suit. Couldn't pull off wearing something like C&J or G&G with jeans either without looking eurotrashy.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wear oxfords with suits only. I have bluchers for everything else.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

More casual oxfords like saddle oxfords or spectators I will wear with garments other than a suit. My more dressy oxfords, e.g., A-E PA or Byron (same as Fifth Ave. on a different last), I reserve exclusively for wear with a suit.

I have never been able to savvy the rationale for the supposed rule that black shoes are to be reserved for suits exclusively. I first discovered it in Manton's book, have not heard much about it otherwise, but just saw it re-iterated above.

13. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Strictly speaking, oxfords go with suits or dressier attire...but realistically speaking, no one outside this board really cares. Non-black oxfords such as the AE strand look really nice with dark denim and an OCBD.

14. Mattia

Mattia Member

As others here have pointed out, a brogued oxford, like a blue/navy or brown wingtip, would be fine with odd trousers or well cut, darkly colored jeans. A black whole it could possibly pass, too. Balmoral captoes would be too formal IMO for anything but a suit.

15. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Oxfords with suits is a very anglo-saxon UCBD principle - in continental europe the divide is more black/other colors. My personal approach is the following - very business suits - i.e. worsteds, plain or stripes with "dress" oxfords or derbies (captoe black oxfords or derbies, brown oxfords, captoe or whole cut), less city suits - i.e. flannels, visible PoW, etc. - black or brown shoes with brogueing, tweeds, onfly brown derbies or very heavy brogues. Of course this is a very simplistic approach, different situations can call for special solutions - travel, etc. Btw, other posters are right, nobody out of the board will notice!